Bright

If I have to listen to one more complaint about luxury taxes, I swear to God I will outlaw caviar in this country.

You would think that in a charity ball, peoples would be more charitable. But apparently not. This night has been filled with meanderings about how expensive it is to vacation in St Barths or to fuel private jets or to have caviar toast.

Believe it or not, the highlight of my night were the mandatory waltzes with the princesses in attendance.

And yes, these young women were smart and capable and beautiful - but they were not Metawin.

They didn't have his smile. Didn't have his humor. Didn't have those cute pearly bunny teeth. Didn't have those lips...

Those lips.

'Where was he?,' I thought as I spun Clarisse around- the very bored Princess of Genovia. She didn't even attempt at small talk or hide her yawn. I couldn't blame her there was nowhere else I'd rather be right now than in bed...

With Metawin. My head on his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart.
My hand around his waist, playing with the elastic of his pajamas...

"You're supposed to turn me again," Clarisse says in a clipped monotone.

"Sorry about that," I say as I comply.

"The boy you're looking for seems to be having a lot more fun than we are," Clarisse says in the same flat voice.

"Boy I'm looking for?"

"Look, I am sleepy and extremely jet lagged, but I am not blind."

Fine. "What do you mean he's having fun?"

"I'd have fun too if a long-haired man was body rolling in front of me instead of waltzing with an equally bored Prince. No offense."

"None taken at - wait. What did you say?"

"A hot dude with long hair is basically gyrating in front of your crush. And I don't think your crush minds. So."

I whip around, following the point of Clarisse's finger.

Hirun. Of course it's bloody Hirun.
Hot dude?! Hot. Dude?!
Easy to be long haired and easy going when you have all of the money and none of the responsibility. And what was so attractive about -

My ramblings leave me. My heart drops to my chest.

The music had just changed. The fast waltz turning slow. I watch as Hirun takes the cocktail glass in Metawin's hand and sets it aside. Then takes Metawin's right hand and places it on his shoulder. His left hand rests on Metawin's hip. He reaches for Metawin's remaining hand and leads him towards the center of the dance floor. Metawin smiles.

They often say jealousy is a green-eyed monster. I have never really understood the metaphor until I feel my heart squeeze and my hands shake. My eyes seem to want to escape from my head. It is as if a creature that has long been trapped in my ribs was rebelling to escape and cause mayhem.

"Okay, you look like you're about to rip someone's head off," Clarisse says still without emotion. "This ball might become interesting after all."

"I will rip every one of his limbs off."

"Or! And this may be a crazy idea but stay with me here - you could cut in and ask for a dance?"