Bright

A bright shaft of light hits my eyes.
It catches me off guard. Against my better judgement I open my eyes only to be greeted by even more sunlight.

I groan.

"Good morning Your Highness," the head handmaiden greets me. Two other younger handmaidens bow behind her.

"Good morning," I mumble, trying to shield myself from the sun. I was very tempted to hide under my blankets but of course that was out of the question.

"We are truly sorry to wake you, Prince Bright. However, you have added to your schedule a luncheon appointment? We fear you may not make it in time if we did not wake you."

"Mindy, it's okay. Thank you for waking me."

"Your morning coffee and fruit will be brought up shortly. We have also laid out clothes for Your Highness to choose from."

I wanted to tell Mindy there was no need to be so formal but I bite back my tongue. She was probably training her new hires. I decide to ask something else.
"What time is it?"

"It is half past ten in the morning Your Highness. Your luncheon is at twelve."

I gawk. 10:30?! I don't sleep until 10:30. I am usually up by 7. Earlier even. What was happening?

"Is there anything else Your Highness?," Mindy asks as 2 more handmaidens quietly walk in and leave my breakfast on the table near my bed.

"That is all. Thank you."

They all bow and file out of the room. As soon as they're gone, I semi-panic as I only had 30 minutes to prepare. I cannot be late, the Royal Family is never late.

I hastily pull off my blanket and jump out of bed - that was apparently a very bad idea as it sends my phone flying through the air.

It falls with a resounding thud on the marble floor.

I pick it up and the memory of last night finally wakes me up

I glance at the screen to see 6 messages. All from Metawin. All sent at the ungodly hour of 3am.

I wanted to groan in frustration. I swear that was what I was going to do but I hear myself laughing instead.

What a goddamn nuisance this man was.

And I know I was running behind but I am compelled to read the messages anyway.

Metawin: y aren't you replying?

Metawin: dont tell me u fell asleep

Metawin: How could u fall asleep??? It's the finale??? Who sleeps during the last episode of Ted Lasso???

Metawin: u are weak. that's why dara will choose me. That's y im her date to the Children's Day tom and not some sleepy ass prince.

Metawin: but ur probably still going right? to spite me? will u b there?