Metawin

My phone is plopped in the middle of the table. We were rewatching Ted Lasso now having exhausted my downloaded episodes of Happy Endings.

Dara was eating what must have been her fourth slice of pizza while I was reaching for my sixth.

"Roy Kent is 100% the hottest actor in this show," I say, before biting into the chewy cheese.

"Figures. Your type is so consistent."

I look at Dara. "What do you mean? The people I find hot look nothing alike."

"They look nothing alike but they're all serious and stern on the outside but absolute marshmallows on the inside."

I nod. "Hmm. Good point. But your type is pretty consistent too you know?"

I expected an answer. I was going to make a joke. But the answer never came.

Weirded out, I tear my eyes from the screen and turned to look at Dara.

The woman was smiling at her phone.
Smiling. At. Her. Phone.

I grab it from her hands.

"Hey!," she protests. "Give that back."

"Who are you so busy texting that you're not paying attention to me?"

"I was on my phone for ten seconds. Let's not exaggerate."

"Who are you texting?," I demand, keeping her phone out of her reach.

Dara sighs. "Bright sent a meme."

My chest tightens. Was this a preview of my life if Dara marries that Prince? Was I doomed to watch sitcoms alone while they lovingly stared into each other's eyes in a freaking castle?

Wait. Was I jealous?

Dara stands up and starts tugging at her phone. But I refuse to loosen my grip.

"I need to reply!"

"I'll reply!"  I say hugging the phone to my chest.

Dara smirks. "Suit yourself." She goes back to watching Ted Lasso.

"You're allowing me to reply?" That was a little too easy.

Dara waves her hand dismissively at me as she takes a sip of her beer. She turns her head back to the series, leaving me awkwardly holding her phone.

I look at it.
Oh, so Bright has been texting for quite awhile now. Again that twinge of jealousy snakes through my chest.

Which makes sense. Because I want to be with Dara. And so does this annoying Prince who apparently has been texting her behind my back.

I read the latest message.

Bright: Good evening! I hope I am not bothering you. I know you probably had a long day at court. Would just like to ask if you have arrived home safely?

I roll my eyes. Who texts this formally? I crack my knuckles and reply.

Win: If you know she's tired then stop bothering her. Let her rest.

Bright: Dara?

Win: Guess again.

Bright: Only one person can be this irritating. Good evening Metawin.