one

September 1972

"I will mother, I will '' I replied to my mother as she stood with me at Kings Cross Station at platform 9 and 3/4 with Walburga Black and Regulus.

I turned and heard my name. I instantly burst into a smile as I ran towards him. Sirius. I jumped into his grasp and he spun me in the air as his friends could not help but chuckle. I had not seen him for a few months, ever since he was chosen for Gryffindor, his family, especially his mother had disowned him so I did not see him often. only sometimes, when there were a few family occasions more specifically pure blood events then he was there, against his will but at least he was there. mainly just to check up on me and regulus. It was always us. We always used to stick together, until Sirius got Gryffindor instead of Slytherin. Since then, not only his parents but my parents had become more strict and harsh, ensuring we all shared Slytherin qualities to make sure we would not bring shame on our families. "How are you?" He asked me.

"I'm great. What about you? Still surviving?" I replied, he nodded with a great smirk on his face.

Then one of his friends cleared their throat and Sirius turned around and introduced me to all of them. James, Remus, and Peter. I remembered them because that was all he talked about whenever we met.

"Pleasure to meet you all, you're a popular topic in our conversations" I said, which made James, in particular, smile and lift his head up in pride. They all nodded their heads and greeted me except for James who shook my hand. Instantly, Sirius enveloped my hand with his, I could not help but roll my eyes at this action. He had been doing that ever since. Sirius Black was older than me so he always felt the need to be protective over me. Not that I felt the need to complain. Truthfully, I adored his protective natural instinct for me.

"Excuse me, boys," I said to them as I took Sirius over to my mother and his, despite his subtle protests.
He stood still, taller than usual as he straightened himself and nodded his head. "mother,"

She replied and nodded her head too as my mother stepped forward, greeted him, and asked him how his summer went. It was followed by an awkward silence as his mother continued to talk to my mother or me, completely ignoring Sirius's presence. He looked at me then at Regulus, shrugged then walked away. HIs mother just rolled her eyes and ignored him.

"Now make us proud, make your father proud, make me proud when the hat yells Slytherin. Remember you are a Blackwood. Slytherin." my mother said, she tapped my shoulder before Regulus and I made our way towards the train. He found us seats and we sat together. He opened up his book and read, as I sat opposite him, and watched my mother and his grow smaller and smaller.

Eventually, a couple of our friends found us and sat with us, mainly Regulus but still. Our parents knew each other, so we were friends but I never found myself drawn to them, instead I looked out of the window, mostly imagining what Sirius was up to. He would have been enjoying playing around with his friends, no pressure now. He was a free man. I heard shuffling and something touched my knee. A hand, his hand. Regulus. I looked up at him as he furrowed his eyebrows, to ask if I was ok. My face softened at this action of his, he always cared about me. That was one of the things I greatly loved about him. I smiled subtly and he relaxed next to me, occasionally participating in Malfoy's conversation.

---

Eventually we reached and stepped out, together. He told them to continue as he waited for me. He took my luggage despite my protests as we left it there and walked into Hogwarts. We were both in the same position so we both knew how we felt right now. Both of our families and their pressure for us to be housed in Slytherin. I heard laughter and I turned to see Sirius and his friends. I smiled at them and waved at them. Regulus sighed next to me. "What?" I asked him as he clicked his tongue. He simply looked at me, then back at Sirius but said nothing. "It's Sirius, Reg '' I whispered. I looked at him and he looked back at Sirius.

I broke my stare and turned to follow Regulus into Hogwarts. Professor McGonagall called out the names of the first years as they were sorted. I tried my best to stay calm but Regulus could tell. He brushed his hand over my shoulder and intertwined his hand with mine. "It will be ok," he whispered.

"But Reg, what if-" I did not get to finish my sentence because McGonagall called out his name.

"Black, Regulus!"

"See you on the other side," he whispered and squeezed my hand before he walked through the crowd. He fixed his posture and walked towards the hat, it was called "Slytherin" and he showed no emotion on his face, as if he were not surprised at all by it. He looked at me and smiled, and in an instant, I could tell he felt a huge sense of relief but pride also in that now he rightfully belonged in his family.

"Blackwood, Elizabeth"

I too, followed in the same pattern as Regulus, holding my head up high preparing for Slytherin to be called. I heard several cheers from the Gryffindor table, mainly Sirius's voice as I made my way towards the hat.

"Hmmm, difficult, very difficult," the hat said. "There's talent, definitely extraordinary talent followed by ambition, yes- you've got a nice thirst to prove yourself don't you? very interesting. Now where to put you?"
"please be Slytherin," I whispered, "please be Slytherin,"

"Are you sure? you've got something that most Slytherins can never have."

"what?" I whispered and gripped the edges of my seat, closing my eyes to ignore the crowd.

"GRYFFINDOR!" it called out.

I remember cheers erupted from the table, as Sirius ran forward to help me down but I remained frozen completely shocked in despair. What would my parents think? I thought. I turned and looked for Regulus, he sat at the Slytherin table. He looked down, shaking his head at me. He had completely changed his demeanour towards me, he looked at me the same way he looked at Sirius, with disgust.

The food came and everyone dived in, my plate filled up too as Sirius poured my food, making sure I ate. I played with it, honestly I was not hungry. All I could see across the hall was Regulus and his glare. Every time our sight locked he just shook his head in disapproval. I could not even imagine what my father would do now. My mother too.

The dinner finished and we were led back to our dorm rooms, Sirius stayed with me, his friends too. They ran in and Sirius stayed with me. "Hey, listen to me." I turned and looked up at him as he rubbed my shoulder, "The first few months are always the hardest but trust me Liz the hat did not put you in Slytherin for a reason." he said.

I climbed the stairs towards the girl dormitories and lay in my bed, ignoring all the other girls talking.
I did not sleep that night. I laid in bed, trying to picture what to say now.

This changed everything.