six

Time drew closer and closer for Slughorn's party. Weeks had gone by since I had talked to Sirius. I studied in the library, occasionally with Remus or Lily but avoided James or Sirius. Sirius had sent James on a mission to try and find out why I was avoiding him. I guessed Remus did not tell him that I was aware of his deal.

I asked Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, even Hufflepuffs but they were all 'busy' or taken. By fourth period, it had spread that I was looking for a date for Slughorn's party. At first, I planned to go without a date but the tradition was to bring someone. I thought to ask Remus but did not want to ruin his friendship with Sirius. I walked into Divination and saw my seat taken by some Slytherin. I thought to protest but just walked over to the only empty seat, next to Regulus Black. The lesson started and we looked at our own mugs to see what our fate held for us.

"Now, switch tea leaves with your partner and look into theirs to see what the spirits have planned for them," Professor Trelawney instructed.

Regulus gave me his mug and I gave mine. He laughed.

"What?" I responded.

"You have the skull," he smirked, "which means there is a danger in your path. Guess that is what happens when you become a traitor."

I sighed and looked inside of his mug; my breath faltered. "You have the cross, which indicates trial and suffering. Enjoy" I teased.

"Actually it may be with what I'm about to ask." he replied.

"What?"

"Heard my brother put a no hands rule on you. That's quite possessive of him. No?" he smirked.

"Where is this going Regulus?" I rolled my eyes.

"I propose a deal. You need someone to accompany you to Slughorn's party."

"I would rather drown in the sea" I sarcastically remarked.

"Come on. You need to get him back. Why not?
  "What is in it for you?"

"Never mind that," he smirked, "how about you owe me a favour?"

"Favour?" I raised my eyebrow at him.

His face fell, "not what you're thinking." he returned my mug.

I clenched my teeth. "Stay out of my head, Regulus."
  "Deal?" he asked, raking his hand out for me to shake.
  I hesitated but then again, maybe it could work. I shook his hand.

If people are meant for each other, they will always find their way back.

***

I applied the last touches of my makeup and took one more look in the mirror. He had sent me a dress, just to irritate me but I chose to wear the dress that resembled Gryffindor the most. I walked out of my dorm, ignoring Sirius and the rest as they sat on the sofa. They called out to me but I ignored them and left straight to meet Regulus. "Lizzy, wait!" I ignored Sirius and exited the Common room but I startled in surprise. Regulus Black was leaning against the wall, waiting for me.

"You clean up well, Elizabeth," he stated. I ignored his comment. He took his hand out but I smacked it away, he smirked.

"Lizzy wait" I turned and heard his breath falter as he saw us. Regulus. He nodded his head at him but looked straight at me. I could feel it, cursing through his veins, anger. He felt betrayed and hurt. "What did I do Lizzy." he grabbed my hands, "what did I do for you to do this? Him?" his voice cracked and a piece of my heart shattered but I kept my face as straight as I could. Regulus cleared his throat and I turned and looked at him, jumping back into reality. I turned around once more and saw Sirius, his eyes red and tears fall down his face. How much I yearned to run over and latch onto him and tell him how everything will be all right. I yearned to comfort him but I did not.
You thought it did not hurt, Sirius. But it did, it hurt because you mattered.