five

Dec 1975

"So you like him" she smirked.

"No" my face turned serious, "I used to but now I don't know. It's just... lily our friendship was put on hold, I thought I'd never see or get to hear from him again but then."

"You got out in Gryffindor and now you're best friends again."

"Yes" I threw my head on my pillow. "what do I do?"
  She rubbed my back, "deal with it. I would say go with whatever your gut keeps telling you, if you are made for each other it will work out. Forget Mary, he will change and he will listen to you."

~

A few weeks passed by. I had found out that Sirius and Mary were no longer together for some reason most students were trying to find out but nobody could. Sirius had become slightly more organised in which he was studying in the library with Remus or helping me with my work.

I walked into my potions class and sat next to Taylor.
  "Good afternoon students' ' professor Slughorn greeted as he walked in the classroom. "Now time for a slight change. Don't worry it's not that much of a great change. Just something for your upcoming assignments. I will pair you up with somebody from the class and you will have to write an essay on a portion of your choice."

He announced the names, and I sat there silently praying I would be partnered with Taylor. "Elizabeth and Regulus"

I felt my entire body freeze as my eyes turned to look at him. His face remained neutral, just like it always was, without a single display of emotion making it impossible to tell how he felt.

"Now if you can go and sit with your assigned partner and begin planning with them."

Taylor got up and started to pack her things despite my protests. "Listen I love you and you'll be fine okay. Just ignore whatever he says and focus on the assignment" she said and blew a kiss as she walked over to her assigned partner, some Ravenclaw. I looked in front of me, where regulus was seated but it was now empty. Then I heard shuffling next to me as he came and sat next to me. He cleared his throat and opened his potions book. It may be awkward between us at this current moment but in the class it was not, the majority were dissolved into conversation. Professor Slughorn walked right over towards us smiling, "Miss and Me Black I put you two together because you're both currently at the top of this class. Congratulations!" He smiled, "Just an extra challenge for the both of you, instead of one potion maybe try to do more than one and make them too instead of just writing them alright?"

I nodded as Regulus responded to Slughorn.

"So '' I said, breaking the awkward tension around us right now as he continued to flip through the potions book, "how do you want to do this? How about you do one potion and I do another? That way we'll stay our separate ways?"

He ignored me and continued to flip through the potions textbook.

"Are you seriously not going to talk to me at all?"

"This" he pointed. "Page 171" and walked away.

At first I thought about running after him, but I had been doing it for quite some time now. Forget partnering for this assignment I would do it myself.

"Oh, Miss Blackwood," Professor Slughorn called out, "Just wanted to formally invite you to my Christmas party. All top students have the pleasure and I would like to give it to you as my top fourth year. Mr Black will be invited too."

"Thank you, Professor," I responded.

I returned back to the Gryffindor common room and saw James and Sirius laughing but when they saw me they instantly threw something under the sofa. Sirius walked towards me and engulfed me in a hug. "Lizzy, how was your day?"