seventeen

The end of the year approached us in three weeks' time. We still had three weeks and in that time, every night Regulus made sure I spent every other night in the tower with him. He liked to watch me read, or rather give me books to read, vice versa. It felt like we were children again.

The next morning, at breakfast, the owls came with letters and surprisingly I had one. Regulus must have noticed the colour too because instantly I looked up at his side of the table to find his eyes were already fixed on me. I tried to excuse myself but Sirius took the paper out of my hand when he saw my family's stamp on the letter.

It was my parents; my father had instructed me to come home for the holidays to my mother's excitement. They wanted to see me. I felt a small spark of hope in that moment, perhaps they had finally grown in that time and accepted me for who I truly was. Just like Regulus had.

The end of the day approached and I walked towards the tower to find he was already there. he turned and looked at me, "you took your time" he commented and I walked over to him. He seemed hesitant so I showed him indication as I took his hand and wrapped it around my waist. "Sirius would not leave me alone" I replied as I pecked his lips, I felt his eyes fluttered close and he wanted to respond but was fighting himself. Why?

"I got a letter from my parents" I told him and his eyebrows furrowed. I stepped back, "they want me to come home," I smiled as he slowly shook his head, "no" he repeated, "you can't" he pleaded as he took my hands in his.

"regulus" I looked at him and his eyebrows remained furrowed, as if he were fighting himself. "Maybe they'll finally accept me just like you've finally done so" I cupped his face, "they're my parents. my mother. my father. they love me." I whispered. He bit his lip then smiled at me. "read to me" he said.

"what?" I asked, completely baffled at his response.

he took my face in his hands, "read to me" he said and took a book out, that was sat on the balcony.

"why" I asked.

He paused then looked up at me and smiled, but I knew regulus. this was a forced constrained smile. He did not want to me to go so there he was changing the subject. "because I don't want to be here right now, I want to be somewhere else with you. somewhere better, with you." he said and I guided him to the wall as he sat down and pulled me towards him as I set in between his legs.

We sat there and I read aloud, my back to regulus's chest. he pulled me a little closer, held me a little tighter and occasionally placed soft, small pecks on my neck. "you can't go see them Elizabeth" he whispered, "please."

I turned to face them, "they're my parents, reg." I looked up at him and I saw his eyes were red and glossy, "I have to." I moved towards him and placed my lips on his, it lasted a few seconds as it felt as if he was fighting himself to not kiss me back. Instead, he abruptly got up and left.

If perhaps I had listened, would things be different this time?