twenty-five

I cannot believe this is the last chapter, I know it seems a bit confusing or ambiguous the entire story soo far so I really appreciate those that have stuck by me this far (you have no idea how much i appreciate you guys). So here goes...

Sitting in the tower, the air heavy with the weight of unspoken words, I finally mustered the courage to speak my heart. "Regulus," I called out softly, my voice barely above a whisper. He continued to stroke my hair as i laid on his lap, He sat up and looked at me, his expression guarded yet curious. I took a deep breath, steadying myself before I continued, but he cut me off, as he shook his head. "No Elizabeth".

My heart was pounding in my chest. "Don't you think i see it happening, Dumbledore's added more restrictions now, time restrictions please listen, there's still hope." I sat up and looked at him, his head down at the floor. "I believe you can change."

Regulus's eyes flicker with a mixture of disbelief and sadness. "You don't understand," he begins, his voice strained. "My parents Eliabeth, I cannot just leave them like that. I am not Sirius" he spat out and I shook my head, in disappointment.

I reached out to gently touch his hand, offering him comfort. "Stop trying to be someone that you are not. Who knows who they will come for next?"

He looked up at me, his eyes red and his lips pursed in fear.

We paused, silence around us. "Who am i without all of this, Elizabeth?"

My chest fell and I ran to him, held his face in between my hands with his eyes red as tears rose. "You're someone capable of doing the right thing, of breaking free from the expectations that weigh you down." I earnestly said.

He looked at me, searching my eyes, I kissed him lightly before he took my hand and moved it away from his face, to intertwine it with his. "Will you promise me one thing Elizabeth." he kissed my hand and I nodded without any pause.

"Yes, of course, my lo-" I replied without hesitation. "I will stand there for you, always and forever. I will never leave you."

-

Weeks passed by and life at Hogwarts continued as usual, at least for those. Time passed by, classes went by and I held onto the hope, hidden smiles and touches I withheld with Regulus in between classes. I find myself seated on the Gryffindor table in the grand hall, lost in thought, when I heard a familiar voice call my name. I looked up to see Regulus stood a few meters away, his expression tender yet determined. He echoed and i nodded. Slowly I got up and left, in route with him.

He took my hand in his, his touch sent a warm shiver down my spine. "I love you," he whispered, his voice filled with sincerity, "so much. The very thought consumes me so much."

This kiss was bittersweet, with the last rays of sunlight that caressed the earth before dusk descended. Locked in his embrace, it felt as if time stood still. A part of me now hoped it stayed there and we never left. The world around us faded into insignificance, that left only the echo of our intertwined breaths and the gentle brush of their lips. There was a tenderness in the way his mouth met him, as soft touch as his caressed my face to deepen the kiss. I closed my eyes as his hands moved around my body, taking it all in. He moved in a delicate dance, each touch infused with longing and promises. I moved away to catch my breath and he continued. I laughed as I pushed away, "Regulus, what's wrong?"

He did not say anything. With a flick of his wand, he enchanted the necklace he gave me when we were children, "to make sure i'll always find my way back to you." He paused.

I frowned. "Regulus" i looked up at him, "what do you mean?"

He looked at me, one last time, and we embraced. He lightly whispered words that I carried with me forever. "When death takes my hand, I will hold you with the other and promise to find you in every lifetime," he vowed and then left. I called after him but he never responded. I remember that afternoon. I looked for him, everywhere but he was nowhere to be found.