sixteen

The next day

"Say, Lizzy, we did not see you at the ball?" Peter asked as he unwrapped another chocolate frog.

"I was there Pete" I remarked as I grabbed his chocolate frog and bit it, "thought you guys were too busy to notice me" I carefully looked at Sirius who's smile fell at my response. Glad to know he was listening for once.

He was about to open his mouth to say something, but yet again James beat him. "That's a lie Lizzy. We waited for you"

I thought to argue but James grabbed Sirius to prepare for the match and ran out of the great hall with the rest of the team. Lily moved up a seat next to me. "So who was he then?"

"What" I asked as I broke a piece oof bread roll to put some pumpkin spread on.

"The bloke you were kissing at the ball"

I froze right there and then. I tried to say something but nothing could come out. For obvious reasons, because of lily's question but also because Regulus had his gaze fixed on me, sat in the same seat just on another table, alone but he stayed looking at me.

"Fine I won't push it, tell me in your own time Lizzy" she responded and poured herself a glass of juice.

After lunch, we ran to the Gryffindor common room to get our Gryffindor scarves and jumpers for the match. It was Slytherin vs Gryffindor today. So the Gryffindor audience had to be prepared.

The two quidditch teams gathered on the pitch, that was cleared enough for them to make a path from their changing room. They stood in two neat rows- one scarlet, one emerald. You could clearly make out a few players. James and his puffy jet black hair next to Sirius Black with his long straight hair, Marlene's fluffy light brown hair. Narcissa Black, on the opposing team alongside regulus black.

Peter and Remus cheered along with the rest of the crowd as Madame hooch explained the rules once again to both teams. I watched Sirius gleam towards the crowd and wave, which caused cheers from Gryffindor. I smiled. He loved this. All of it. Every single minute of it.

Madame hooch blew her whistle and the players mounted their broom, ready for kick off.

I craned my neck, as I looked around the stands, towards the Slytherin crowd. Then at the Slytherin team. I watched as Regulus squatted on his broomstick ready to kick off. I watched as soon as Madame Hooch blew her whistle again and released the snitch, Regulus flew off and dived under to miss the budgers.

Peter and lily were on their feet as they cheered with everybody else. James had the quaffle within a few seconds and had it through the hoop in under a minute. The red crowd erupted into cheers as James flew on his broomstick waving his hand as a sign for the crowd to cheer louder.

James scored at least three more goals, which of course resulted in more ear splitting roars, whilst the Slytherin crowd started to disperse. James was like a red blur on the pitch alongside Black. They were such a strong duo. Unbeatable. Absolutely unbeatable.

The game went on for a while as I watched regulus chase around the pitch for the snitch. I watched at how sleek and smooth he was. I remembered yesterday and all the other moments.

Why him?

It was a good question. Why not the guy with the good (ash) grades and warm smile with perfect manners? Why did I choose him- him with the dangerous aura and mysterious smirks and hidden yet empty stares.

It was real for me. I don't know what it was for him. But for me. It was real. It meant more than it should have. And I was willing to be with him forever. I felt as if it was fate. We were meant to be. But I thought it was time I let him go. And that was so hard to do because some part of me would be in love with him for the rest of my life. But the daydreaming, the running in place, it was not healthy. So this was me, cutting the cord. This was me doing what I should have done months ago: saying goodbye, Sirius.