twenty-three

I wrote to him that night and waited at the Astronomy tower. I paced myself back and forth, as I anxiously anticipated his arrival. I watched him during dinner to try and figure out his behaviour. He did not come.

I repeated that for the next night. He was not there. Nor the next night either. I walked outside my divination class towards the toilet, when I felt a grip on my arm, he pushed me against him and harshly whispered in my ear, "stay away." I shook his grip off and scowled then shook my head so that he knew I would not give up.

I had to fight Sirius's company away with drastic excuses so that he would leave me alone now that Lily had begun to talk to James.

On the third night, I wrote again and waited. I had gotten used to it yet remained tired because I was staying up all night in hope that he would meet me. I heard the bell ring and I jolted upright in surprise. I shook my head in disappointment over the fact that I had fallen asleep when I looked down and noticed his blanket on my lap. I checked the corner and it shared his initials with it. I gazed at it and smiled.

If two people are meant for each other they'll find their way back.

-

The next day, I awoke and saw a figure stood near the balcony. I gasped and he turned his head, and immediately tried to run out but I jumped up and grabbed his arm.

"Regulus, stop, I know it's you." I grabbed his arm to stop him. "Would you just listen to me please." I pleaded.

He sighed and I felt myself draw back. I let go of his arm and took a step back. The echoes of the wind filled the silence amongst the room. I waited for hm to look up, I anticipated him to turn around but he did not. He faced the door, his back towards me. I bit my lip as I held his blanket. "Please Regulus" I whispered and he turned around.

His eyes were blood shot red, as if he had not eaten nor drunk anything either but they were watery. His face remained like a ghost; he stared through right through me. I watched and noticed his teeth on top of his bottom lip, to stop the quivering as I reached for my sleeve and wiped my tears before he could see me. I stepped forward and lifted my hand with his blanket to return.

He stepped forward, still as a ghost, and took it. His gaze turned to the blanket as he played with the ends of it. A brief smiled appeared on my face, I remembered he used to play with my hair like that.

"Why do you care?" he looked up as he caught me staring and smiling at him.

My face fell, "Regulus. I told you this already. I do. I just do" I scrunched my hair as I pulled it away from my face. You used to stroke my loose hair away from my face.

"What about Sirius?"

"I'm not going to stop Regulus. I know what you're doing and I don't care. I'll keep fighting. I won't stop. Until you realise it." His face faltered as I noticed his eyebrows lightly frowned.

I stepped forward and sighed, "I chose you, why don't you get it." we were within touching distance. I observed him step back slightly but I filled that gap. I won't leave him empty anymore. I touched either side of his face and stroked the loose hair of his away from his angelic face. "Stop fighting it Regulus, please" I quivered. "Don't push me away, please."

"S-"

Before he could finish, I placed my lips on his and immediately he cupped one side of my face and twisted me around so I leaned against the wall, tiled below him so he could deepen the kiss.

Momentarily, he let go and slid his fingers from the right side of my face, towards my neck. He lightly dug into my neck and hooked the chain of my necklace. He took the pendant in his grasp and I held my breath he stared at it, and back towards me repeatedly. I could feel his warm breath on my face and his lips open and dropped, slightly swollen from the kiss but pink and bloodshot red. He lowered his head lower and lightly kissed the pendant as I hooked my arms around his neck so I could fill the empty gap between us. He cupped my face one more time then left.

But this time I would not leave it like that. I ran after him. "Regulus" i whispered loudly, in a desperate attempt to not attract Filch either. I followed Regulus and twisted his arm so he would turn around. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him. He grabbed both sides of my hips and twisted his face so I could feel his lips more, as his tongue slid inside my mouth.

I grabbed both sides of his face as his arms moved higher towards my back and shoulders as he picked me up and moved me towards the wall. I took that as a sign and wrapped my legs around his waist. He continued to kiss me but tried to push my legs off of him. In between our kiss, we broke out into hysterical laughter as he kissed me more in an effort to quieten me down.

"Elizabeth?"

I broke away and froze as Regulus tried to push me behind him but I opposed.

I shrugged. "Yes?" I smiled as Remus.

He looked at Regulus and I repeatedly.

"How long have you been standing there roughly Remus?"

His stood there with his mouth agape. Panic spread across my face as I watched Regulus with a smirk across his face. I slapped his chest and paced myself towards Remus.

"Remus, look it's nothing. It's just..." I froze as I turned towards Regulus and back towards Remus and sighed.

"Was he the reason you were crying that Christmas?"

My eyes jolted in surprise as I turned to look Regulus and watched his face drop in shame and guilt.

"Remus we have our ups and downs, we're just like a normal regular couple but we resolved it. See?"

"Yes I did and wish I could wipe that out of my memory."

I looked and Regulus and forced a smile on my face to hide my fear. What would Sirius say?

We heard Filch's echoes through the corridor and dispersed. Regulus ran towards the Slytherin corridor whereas I followed Remus towards the Gryffindor corridor.

We paced ourselves in and when he shut the door, we both leaned against it and sighed. I stepped towards Remus and took his hands in mine, "please Remus I'm begging you don't tell anyone. Please, especially Sirius, you know what he's going to do."

Remus stared. He paused. "I just hope you know what you're doing Lizzy. He could break your heart. You remember that feeling don't you? I just don't want to go through that." he paused. "Ever again."

I laughed and cupped one side of his face. "I know Remus and I adore you for that but the truth is..." I paused. "I love him, I really do. It's just..." I paused, again and tried to explain to Remus why.

"Wow." he laughed.

"I frowned in confusion. "What?"

He shook his head in laughed, "nothing it's just I've never seen you like this." He stood and walked towards the boys bedroom. He paused and turned to look at him. "You really do love him don't you."

As much as Icarus loved the sun. Too close and too much.

Several weeks later

Weeks went by and I waited but I'd never see Regulus. In my classes, he was no longer there nor in the library or the Great Hall during mealtimes. I checked the Astronomy tower regularly but there was not a single trace of him. The conclusion remained he was avoiding me. But why?

Then it came to me, during a gathering late at night with Sirius and he gave his thoughts on his theory of pureblood group that had to do with the rising disappearances. And the attempts Regulus repeatedly made in an effort to push me away.

***

It's been a while but I got this random spasm of creative energy so here's the new chapter.

ALSO

Only 2 chapters left :(