nine

I left Sirius and sat with James and Remus. We sat in silence mostly because we didn't know what to say or do after that event with siris and his family.

I woke up after I heard Remus cursed himself, most likely for being so thoughtless, so selfish. He climbed off James's huge, comfortable four poster bed. He left James who was still asleep, and walked to the bathroom. It was morning; the curtains were drawn and watery winter daylight filled the stairwell. The house was very quiet, no one else was awake yet. There was no usual smell of breakfast cooking or tea brewing on the hob.

"oh, hello, Elizabeth, dear." James's mother had been up all night, that was clear, but she still had a smile on her face. "Is he ok?" I stood up.

"No lasting damage," she croaked, her smile waning slightly, "Not on the outside, anyway. He's sleeping still, just a mild dose of potion. Would you like to sit with him? I need a little lie down before Monty gets home."

"Yeah, yeah of course," I started forward, eager to help in any way he could. I crossed the landing quickly, and slipped into the room. Just then Remus stepped out. He smiled. "He's still resting but you can keep him company if you want."

"Thanks" I replied and Remus followed Euphemia.
James came in and joined me alongside Remus, after an hour or so. He brought tea, and we accepted it gratefully. James sat on the arm of the chair, and they did not speak. It was another hour before Sirius so much as moved. He quietly stirred and then a flicker in his features, before his eyes eased open, still heavy with sleep. It took him a moment to focus, and the room was still very gloomy. When he finally caught the shapes of us, his brow furrowed, then he cracked a smile. He turned and saw me and he startled in surprise. Then he groaned and grabbed his arm.

Simultaneously, we all jumped up in an effort to help him.

"You alright?" James asked as Remus left to get James's mother.

Sirius smiled. "Never been better."

Remis came back, "she's asleep".

James pushed for Remus to go wake her up but Sirius insisted not to, "I'm feeling better guys trust me. Look" he made a silly face making Remus roll his eyes and James followed. I laughed and he turned and smiled. He stayed looking at me and from the corner of my eye I saw Remus drag James out of room, which left Sirius and I alone.

Silence followed and filled up the room.

"I'm sorry"

"I'm sorry"

We both laughed.

"What happened then?" I asked him and his face matched his name.

"He doesn't speak to me anymore."

"Who?"

"Regulus." He replied. "When mother would order me to come back home, Regulus would hide it but he'd try and talk to me or something but this time he didn't. He told me never to tell you." he reached out and scratched his head.

I shrugged.

"Also, it felt weird. Weirder than normal. my parents are not that interested in me anymore as they used to be, sometimes they're at home, sometimes they go out or it's the other way round. They, the Malfoys, Bellatrix and the rest come over and they talk. When I walk past they close the doors, or '' he pointed at himself, "do this. I feel like something bad is going to happen. I know that sounds stupid, but something's definitely not right in this house. even more so than normal"

We sat in silence for a while. "So what exactly happened then?" I hesitated. "James found you. Right at his fireplace. What happened?"

He smiled. "Don't you know? You and me. We're the same Lizzy. We're both traitors to the pure bloods. We're bound to get treated like traitors at some point".

I hesitated. My heart aches for him. We were the only ones that understood each other because we were both in the same place. I took my hand out and placed it on the mattress he lay on, right next to him arm. I thought to hold his hand but I paused. I guessed he thought the same thing as he grabbed my hand and intertwined it with his. He murmured for me to come forward and sit next to him.

"I guess we're stuck with each other for better or for worse."

He laughed. Silence followed.

"I know there are days when you feel like giving up but I think it's brave that you never do," I blurted out, "for him especially, how you don't give up on him. I think it's brave that you push away the waves rolling in every day and you decide to fight for what's right".

He smiled and rose up to kiss my hand that intertwined with his.

"Lizzy" he whispered.

I did not even realise it but our faces were mere inches away from each other as his hand rested on my face.

"Yes," I responded.

His soft eyes stared into mine. They shuffled back in forth between both of my eyes, until they had stopped at my lips.

I looked up at him, back at his eyes when I noticed he was now staring at my eyes again. He leaned in a bit, as he waited to see if I would back away but I did not. So, he leaned in a bit more to the point where our noses touched. I felt his breath as he titled his head a bit, our lips a paper away. That was when I started to feel nervous, unaware if he was about to kiss me or not.

I heard the door open and I jumped back, out of my seat as I looked up. Remus. Sirius cleared his throat. I saw Remus looking at both of us, back and forth, I thought I saw his face frown too but I hastily excused myself and ran out of the room before he had a chance to ask.