Chapter Eleven || Memories

"Mark! Wait up!" I call out to the young boy who is a few feet ahead of me, excitingly making his way through the forest. He doesn't seem to hear me and continues. "Mark-" My sentence abruptly stopped when I tripped on a root, causing me to topple to the ground. My knee slammed into the floor and pain shot through my leg, thick tears collecting in my eyes. I blink and they begin flowing down my face.

"(Y/N)! Are you okay?" A soft voice calls out to me and I look up to see Mark, holding out a hand to me. I stare up at him for a moment before nodding, grabbing his hand and allowing myself to be hoisted from the ground. He looks me up and down for injuries, a frown on his face. "Your knee...does it hurt?" He questions, examining it. "Um...yeah, it does." I admit, wiping the tears from my eyes.

The small boy hums before smiling up at me. "Well, I think I put some band-aids in the tree house!" He takes my hand and carefully leads me to our special tree, making sure I didn't trip or get hurt on anything. In the process, he almost fell over a log, but I pulled him away from it before he could.

Soon enough, we made it to the tree house, or as Mark calls it, 'The high shack!'. It's a work in progress. Mainly because Uncle Tom had a really weird reaction to that name, but I think it fits well. I mean, it's a shack that is high up in the air. I just don't understand adults sometimes.

The two of us climbed up the old steps to the tree house, avoiding the one that was broken. Mark popped open the trapdoor at the top before climbing in, helping me up. When the two of us were inside, he shut the trapdoor, rushing over to a cardboard box in the corner. He rummaged through it before pulling out a small box, the words 'Boo Boo Box' written on it in sharpie. He gave me a big grin and popped it open, taking out a band-aid.

"Here," He said, opening it and placing it on my knee. I winced at the contact and he quickly placed a kiss on the band-aid, a wide smile on his face. I giggled. "You're silly!" I exclaim and he boops my nose. "No, you are!" He retorts. My giggles escalated to laughing as I attempted to boop his nose, failing as he reeled back. We ended up tackling each other, play fighting until I was eventually able to boop him back.

I fell to the floor beside him, the two of us giggling quietly. I let out a yawn, tired from running around all day. I closed my eyes, feeling Mark's head plop against my shoulder. After that, everything began to get distorted and blurry, darkness blinding my senses.

-----------------

"(Y/N)!" My mother's voice hollered, causing me to jolt up in my bed, alarmed. "Yeah!" I responded, my words slurred from being half asleep. "Mark's calling you!" She informed me, her voice coming from the kitchen. I let out a sigh, falling back into my bed for a moment. "Yeah, okay. I'm coming," I groan, rubbing my eyes. I glanced at my clock, realizing that it was currently '11:28pm', which meant I had work in an hour and a half.

I lazily climbed out of bed and began walking to the kitchen, yawning as I did. I rubbed my face and let out a quiet groan, remembering my dream. It was a memory from when I was a small child. Mark and I found that tree house in the middle of the woods and modified it, but we haven't gone there since we were kids. It was probably broken or run down by now.

I rounded the corner into my kitchen and found my mother in an apron, actually cooking food for once. I raised my brow at her, but she brushed it off, handing me the phone. I put it to my ear. "Hello," I say, my voice slightly raspy. "Hi- Wait, did you just wake up?" Mark asks, chuckling. "Obviously. Don't tell me you willingly wake up at nine in the morning like a psychopath," I joke, a smile on my face.

"Oh, no, of course not. I wake up at seven in the morning," He snickers and I fake gasp. "You monster!" The two of us laugh before Mark catches his breath. "So, can you come over today? I both want to spend time with my cousin and maybe, possibly, need help with building a table with my father," He says and I can practically see his pleading eyes through the phone. I let out a sigh.