Chapter Nineteen || Bonding

Thursday was a blur. Nothing special happened. Michael asked me if I wanted to go to Circus Baby's again, but I told him I couldn't because of homework.

It was currently Friday and I sat in my chemistry class, waiting for class to start as I slumped in my chair. I felt a tap on my head and I looked up to see Michael smirking down at me. "I see you're wearing my hoodie. Can I have it back now?" He questioned and I rolled my eyes, sitting up so I could pull it over my body. I handed it to him and he smiled, slipping it on over his gray tank top.

He adjusted the hoodie before looking back down at me, an unamused look replacing his smile. "Really?" He sighed and I giggled. "Yep!" I wore his Madonna shirt, but since I wasn't wearing anything underneath it, he couldn't take it back. He took a seat beside me and I grinned. "So, how was Circus Baby's without me?" I questioned.

"So boring. I had to stay by my siblings the whole time and they never do anything interesting! At least Elizabeth didn't wander off this time. I think she's afraid to after my father yelled at her," He said, shrugging. I nodded solemnly. "Oh, yeah. Did you...have a talk with your father about that?" I asked, earning a grunt from the boy. "Yeah, but he said that she deserved it because she wasn't listening to him and was pestering him while he was trying to work or something stupid like that. I kinda got into an argument with him, but it's whatever."

I pressed my lips into a thin line, placing my hand on his head and running my fingers through his hair. My fingers got caught on a tangled piece of hair and he winced. "Pfft- did you not brush your hair this morning?" I questioned and he hesitantly shook his head. I chuckled. "No wonder your hair always looks like a rat's nest," I joked and he gaped at me. "Rude! My hair looks just fine, thank you very much."

"Sure, sure. Come on, sit here," I said, pointing to a spot next to my chair on the floor. I spun in the chair so I was sitting sideways, my legs spread so he could sit between them. Michael sat with his back facing me so I could work on his hair. "Tell me if I hurt you." I run my fingers through his hair and gently tug at tangles, attempting to tame the mess on his head. "Ego-wise, you've already hurt me, but physically, you haven't- ow! What was that for!?"

Michael jerked his head away from my hands and sent me a glare, causing me to roll my eyes. "I didn't mean to. Come back, so I can finish." I say and he does so, allowing me to continue untangling his hair. When his hair had no visible knots, I began playing with his hair, smirking as an idea popped into my head. "Hey, Michael? Can I braid your hair?" I questioned and he shrugged. "I don't know, I mean, isn't that for girls? Besides, I don't think my hair is long enough for that."

"Your hair is almost a mullet. And, no, it's not just for girls." I respond and he shrugs. "Do what you want." I hummed in response. "Can you turn towards me?" I asked and he nodded, turning around, sitting criss-crossed with his head tilted upwards. I took the strands of hair in front of his ear and began to braid them, doing the same to the other one when I finished. I tied them with the rubber bands I kept in my backpack and retracted my hands, admiring my work. I snickered at the sight, causing Michael's expression to turn into an annoyed one.

"What?" He questioned and I shook my head through my laughter. "You look adorable," I commented, causing his face to flush and he averted his gaze. "Whatever, I probably look stupid."

---------------

The final bell rang and students filled out of their classes, crowding the hallway as they bustled out of school, ready for the weekend. I pushed my way through the crowd, attempting to exit the school. As I walked, I noticed a familiar mess of brown hair. "Hey, Michael!" I exclaimed, causing him to turn his head to me as I stopped beside him. "Oh, hey, (Y/N)!" He said back, smiling down at me. Mark stood beside him and I waved to him, earning a smile in response.