Chapter Sixteen || School Fight

A loud rumble echoed across the sky, a quick flash of purple light bursting through a dark cloud in the distance. The smell of rain flooded Utah, threatening the citizens with a downpour. I sighed as I made it into the driveway of my school, walking along the pathway towards the front door. The sound of angry voices caught my attention and I paused upon seeing AJ standing next to a car, the door wide open as he fought with the person inside.

"I already told you, father, I don't want to take them. They make me feel like some freak that can't control himself without medication," AJ hisses, squeezing the car door. "I don't care, AJ. You need them. Your grades are already low enough as it is and so help me if I get one more call from the school, you will be punished." A deep masculine voice booms from the inside, a hand stretching out to him. They held a pill capsule and AJ seemed to grimace at the sight of it. "I-" The boy began, stopping when he looked to his side, noticing me. He glared at me before rolling his eyes. AJ quickly snatched the pill bottle and shoved it in his hoodie pocket, slamming the car door closed and beginning to stomp away.

The man in the car leaned out, revealing the back of his head. His hair was short and wavy, his blonde strands slicked back against his head. "AJ!" The man hollered, his voice stern. The boy stopped, whirling around with a glare on his face. "What?" He responded bitterly. "I want you home by five. I mean it," The man said, the warning in his voice clear. AJ tensed up, clenching his fists. "But-" He stopped with wide eyes, seemingly scared. "Sure, whatever." He agreed, mumbling. The man leaned back into his vehicle and drove away, leaving AJ with a bitter look on his face.

The boy's eyes snapped over to me and his eyes hardened. "What the hell are you looking at?" He scowled and I averted my gaze, crossing my arms. "You," I muttered and I heard him scoff. AJ stormed off, aggressively shoving open the doors to the school and disappearing down the hall. I stared at the door for a moment, a confused look on my face. "Why does he need pills...?" I voice my thoughts, gnawing on the inside of my cheek. I shook my head. "It doesn't matter...just, get to class."

---------------

I slumped in my chair, bored. My head rested against the wooden surface, my eyes fluttering shut. The sudden feeling of a hand against my head caused me to snap my eyes open. I was met with the cocky smirk belonging to Michael. "I'll wake you up before the bell," He whispers and I mumble a quick thanks, cradling my head within my arms. Michael played with my hair as I laid against the desk, quickly falling asleep.

--------------

"Ack-" The small boy cried out, trying desperately to claw the frog off his face. I stood a few feet behind him, laughing at the sight. My laughter died when I noticed a glittering object in my peripheral vision, causing me to turn my head. There was a tall oak tree standing tall in the forest, water droplets dripping from it's leaves. At the base of the tree was a sapling, tiny branches protruding from the small plant. Within it's branches, was a necklace, tangled up.

I made my way over to it, crouching down and holding it up, examining it. It was a pendant, a shimmering green color with a golden trim, a black string attaching it. The gem glistened against the sunlight, creating a glowing effect. It was beautiful. I stood up with it, catching Mark's attention. The boy held the frog in his hand, letting it hop to the ground before turning to me, a questioning look on his face. He perked up when he saw the necklace.

"Ooo! What is that?" He excitedly asked, bouncing over to me. I looked up at him. "It's a pendant," I told him. A small smile crawled across my face at his enthusiasm, an idea popping into my head. I trotted over to him and slipped the pendant over his head, letting it dangle from his neck. "Wha-" He questioned, whipping his head up to look at me. I gave him a thumbs up, giggling at his confused face.