32

I lay back on the warm sand, absorbing the rays of light. Ezra is next to me, but he's sitting up, looking at the view. I wack my hand against his bare back and he doesn't even flinch. My eyes wander along his back and I let my finger trail up his back until I reach his neck.

"I will squish you." He says, twisting his torso to face me.

"I'd like to see you try." I chuckle. "I'm indestructible." I add, closing my eyes. He scoffs.

Nearby, I hear the clinking of dog collars, so I open my eyes to see two gorgeous border collies trotting towards us. I grin as one of them walks up to me and licks my face.

"Hi!" I giggle, sitting up. The other one goes to Ezra and sits down as he scratches the dogs' back.

"They're so cute!" I squeal, scratching behind the dogs' ear. I turn the collar around until I see a name.

"Koda." I say. "What about that one?" I ask. Ezra looks at the collar.

"Ares." He says.

"Who's are they?" I ask. When I stop scratching Koda, he lays down with his back presses against my thigh.

"Don't know." He shrugs. Through the entrance to the beach, comes in a big group of women all wearing bright blue shirts. They're all chattering and they sit down right at the entrance. Not the brightest, I guess.

"They're Italian." Ezra whispers.

"That's a bold opinion-"

"They're speaking Italian." He says.

Suddenly all of the women side their shirts off and they end up being topless.

"Oh, sweet Jesus!" I cover Ezra's eyes with my hand and look away. He chuckles and lays down, his head at the same level of my right thigh.

I move my hand away from his eyes since I'm blocking his view from the topless women anyway.

"You know, I've seen tits before." He says, looking up at me.

"Yeah, your mom's twenty years ago." I tease.

"Fair enough." He nods, blocking his eyes from the sun with his forearm.

"You're going to have a tan line and then a white stripe across your face from where your arm was." I say. He groans and removes his arm, flipping onto his chest so his back is facing the sun.

"I'm going to make you into a mermaid." I announce, getting up.

"Have fun." He grumbles.

I start piling handfuls over handfuls of sand onto the sides of his legs and between them, squishing the damp sand together to make it into a tiny wall.

Once that's done, I start piling it over his legs and over his ass.

"I'm going to be pissed if the sand gets in my ass." He says.

"Get your best 'pissed' face on, then." I respond.

My friend almost drowned at a beach once. We were both young and she couldn't swim really well, so when we went really far out the waves kept pushing her back and she couldn't make it to shore. Her mom had to call the lifeguard to come and help her out.

But anywho...

I pack the sand over his lower half until it looks something like a rectangle. Then I carve it into the form of a mermaid tail and focus on making small U shapes all over it.

When I'm finished, it's been over half hour and I'm exhausted and feel like a sausage. Yes, a sausage.

I get up to admire my work.