Untitled Part 18

(Sex ahead)
(Ivann's POV)

Work at the office sucked. More pompous people who thought they were better than us because they had a lot of money and we just handled it for them. On top of all the bullcrap that I had to deal with, the boss called me and Quill into his office two hours after we were supposed to leave.

"I need you to stay late tonight," he said, looking directly at me.

"What? Why?"

"We're already staying late," Quill filled in, quietly, although the boss wasn't even paying attention to him to hear a word that he said.

"We have a potential client coming in from overseas and you're the only one here who speaks Russian."

"But sir, it's already late. Can't you schedule the meeting with them tomorrow morning?"

"They are only going to be here for a short time, so I want to get with them first thing before any other firm does so."

"I'm sure a few hours won't make a difference. We're the best firm in four of the nearest states. We'll get the client," told him, assuredly.

"What is this? You've never complained about staying late before," he argued.

"That was before. I have pups at home now. It's bad enough that I had to miss dinner with them. I'd like to see them, before they go to bed, tonight," I told him, bluntly.

"This meeting with this client could skyrocket your career. You could be the one sitting behind this desk." He tapped his claw on his desk. "It's one night, after that you can spend every night with them," he told me, with his best dazzling smile.

That smile, the one he's trying to use on me, used to work on me, all the time, but now it just irritated me, and that line "it's just one night, after that you can spend every night with them," is a lie. He has to stay late most nights, if I took the leap behind his desk I'd almost never see the pups or Sean. My career or my family, there was no question.

"I don't want to be behind that desk. I want to be with my family," I told him as I stood up and walked out of his office.

What did you just do?! What did you just do?! The words echoed louder and louder in my head as I flagged down a cab and got in and drove away from the office building. I chose my family, I answered, firm in my decision.

Fear and panic didn't set in until I paid the driver and got out and stood at the end of the driveway. That's when the question came back to me, even louder than before. What the fuck did I do?! Even worse than that question was the question of how was I going to tell Sean and how was he going to take it?

Let's get this over with. I took the first step up the driveway and made my way up to the front door. I prepared myself for whatever was to come before I reached for the knob and opened the door. I crept quietly into the sparsely lit house. I didn't get too far inside before my eyes locked with Sean's. He had a disappointed look on his face as he sat at the kitchen table, with a board game box in front of him. My ears fell lower and lower the closer I got to him. My whole body filled with guilt and my eyes filled with tears.

"I'm sorry," I told him, my lips quivering.

"It's okay," he said as he stood up. "It's just one meal. It's nothing to beat yourself up over. Just don't make a habit of it," he told me as he wrapped me in his comforting arms.

"I don't think that will be a problem anymore," I said against his chest.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" he asked as he rubbed his hand over my back.