Untitled Part 27

(Ivann's POV)

I watched Kyle smile down at his little brother. No one can take them away from us again.

I couldn't help but to be so proud of him. To do what he did, to take the stand in front of everyone, and to talk about all those disgusting things that those monsters had done to him over the years. He's definitely braver than anyone had given him credit for.

I hugged him again, telling him, "I'm so proud of you. You were so brave."

"I was so scared," he admitted, with a sniffle. "I'm still scared."

I pushed him away, gently, holding him out at arm's length. "I have a friend that I'd like you to talk to about what happened to you," I said as I looked into his teary eyes. "She helped me a lot when I went through the situation with my ex. Do you think you could talk to her about it?"

He swallowed hard and nodded. "Yeah, I think I'd like to talk to her."

A shaky smile tugged at my lips as I just looked at him for a long moment, and then I pulled him back into my arms for another quick hug. I stepped away - only a few feet, still within earshot of the bustling courthouse - and made the call to Clair.

"She said she can see you today or whenever you're ready," I told him, after I briefly explained the situation to her, as I slipped my phone back into my pocket and walked back over to where he and his brother stood.

"Can we do it today, please?" he asked. "I've held it all in for so long. I just want to get it out and let it go and try to move on."

"I know." Another wave of tears filled my eyes. I knew all too well.

Sean pulled the car around to where we were waiting, and then he drove us to Clair's office. "I'll wait here with Anthony while you two go in," he told us as we got out.

"Um, it might be awhile," Kyle told him, shyly, as he looked down at the pavement. "Is there somewhere you could take him, so he doesn't have to wait in the car?" he asked as he looked in the back seat at his brother.

"There's a park a few blocks away from here. You can take him there," I suggested. "I'll call you when we're done," I told Sean as I closed the car door. "Are you sure you want to do this today?" I asked as I stepped over to Kyle. He looked like he was having trouble with his words, so he just nodded. "Okay then," I said as I put my hand on his back and walked him into the building.

Clair was waiting for us as we stepped off of the elevator. "This is Clair, my friend that I wanted you to talk to," I introduced.

"I'm Kyle," he introduced himself meekly, as he reached out and shook her hand.

Clair and I talked quietly as Kyle walked behind us. "It's good to see you again," she told me as she brushed her shoulder against my arm. "I just wish the circumstances were different," she whispered, and we both glanced over our shoulders, back at Kyle.

"I know," I whispered to her, my ears dropping.

"I've cleared my schedule for the afternoon, and I've made sure to have openings in the future, just in case he ever wants to come and talk," she told me as we stepped up to her office door.

"Thank you," I said as I took her hand and gave it a squeeze. She opened the door and Kyle and I walked in before she closed it behind us. "Do you want me to stay, or do you want me to wait outside?" I asked as I turned to face Kyle.

"I don't want you to go," he said, his voice trembling a bit.

"Okay. I'll stay right here with you," I told him as I reached up and placed my hand on his shoulder.