Untitled Part 24

(Ivann's POV)

Quill showed up at the house that Sunday. He comes around a few times a week, mostly on the weekends, so we can organize all the Paine accounts that we'll be handling. He knew just about everything that was going on with us and the custody battle over the pups. He and Maxwell were both on mine and Sean's side. They both even offered to pay for the best lawyers that they could find to help us out. Me and Sean felt like they've done so much for us that we had to respectfully turn down their offers - okay, so maybe it was mostly me who felt that way. I mean, it's because of Quill that we are in our own house and it's thanks to Maxwell that I even have a job.

"Whoa! Watch it there," he told Anthony, who ran around him, without a second thought - a thought of he's covered in sharp, pointy quills.

"Morning, Quill," I greeted as he walked into the kitchen. "Would you like some coffee? I just made a fresh pot," I asked, grabbing him a cup because I already knew that he would want some.

"Thank you," he said as I handed him his piping hot cup, so he could add sugar to it

"So, what did you come over this morning for?" I asked as I took a seat at the table with him. "I thought I told you last night that I finished up with the accounts." I worked on them when thinking about the whole custody battle got to be too much for me, which was a fair bit of the time.

"You did, but I didn't come over here for that," he said, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Then what did you come over for?" I asked, not trying to sound too bothered by him just showing up. I considered him to be a close friend, and I really enjoyed his company, though some warning would be nice sometimes, before he just showed up.

"It's about the office," he answered, sitting his cup down slowly.

"What about the office?"

"The remodel to the building is almost done. I thought you might want to go check it out and give your input on anything before it's too late to," he said. "So, what do you say?"

I looked past him to Kyle, who was sitting on the couch, watching TV. He's been a bit mopey and despondent ever since we told him about everything. Maybe a change of setting would do him some good, at least get him out of this depressing mood he's in.

"Okay, but I want to bring Kyle with," I told him.

"Great! Bring your whole family with," he said, his smile growing.

"No, I think I'll just bring Kyle."

"Whatever you want to do," he said, taking another sip of his coffee.

We sat there for a few minutes just chatting about everything that was going on, about the pups and about the new office, until our cups were empty. "Let me go tell Sean that we are leaving, and then we can go," I told him as I took our cups and put them in the sink.

"Okay. I'll be waiting in my car to lead the way," he said as he got up and began walking to the front door.

I found Sean in our room, just laying on the bead. His eyes were closed, but he wasn't sleeping, he was just relaxing. He does this sometimes when he gets stressed or his back pains start to act up. I crept over to him, without making a sound, or so I thought.

"Yes?" he asked, cracking his eyes open and looking up at me.

"Sorry to disturb you," I apologized, sitting down on the edge of the bed next to him.

"It's okay," he told me as his hand snaked over my thigh and he gave it a gentle squeeze. "What is it?"

"Quill wants me to go look at the new office with him."