Sibling Talks.

Brynn

What just happened?

I stumble over myself as I enter the living room of my parent's house. I'm not surprised when I find both of them on the couch. My dad watches whatever college football game that's playing on ESPN and my mom reads one of her favorite novels. "Brynnie!" my dad says as I catch his attention first. My mom looks up and instantly smiles. God, I needed this right now. I make my way to them and lay my head on my mom's lap. "What's wrong, babe?" my mom asks, brushing my hair out of my face. My dad lowers the volume on the tv as well. "Where's Kennedy?" I ask.

"Out with her boyfriend," my dad mocks, rolling his eyes. He's still not used to the idea that my seventeen-year-old sister has a boyfriend. Ripley isn't either, but he's not here to give her shit about it all the time like dad is.

I sigh at the fact that my sister isn't here. I really wanted to talk to her about this. She may be three years younger, but Kennedy gives the best advice. I also feel more comfortable talking to her about this because when I bring up a guy to my parents, it turns into a talk about me dating again. Kennedy knows the promise I made myself and that I'll stand by it. Both of my parents rather encourage me to get back out there and that is not what I want to hear right now.

"When will she be back?" I ask them. "She's been out for quite some time now, text her and ask her," my mom says. I pick my head back up and get somewhat comfortable between my parents. "Is everything okay?" my mom asks again. I realized I hadn't answered her the first time. "Yes, I'm just tired from the game," I lie. "It was a good game," my dad says. He's always been a huge football fan. Especially an Oak Hill fanatic since he and mom attended when they were my age. "Yeah, it was," I say.

I pull out my phone and text the group chat I have with her and my brother. If Ken doesn't answer, then maybe Ripley will be available. Talking to him is also easier than talking to my parents about this subject.

Me: ken, when are you coming home?

I put my phone down, not expecting a quick reply. That is until my phone vibrates on my lap.

Rip: where is she?

Great. Protective Ripley.

Me: out.

Rip: with her little boyfriend, huh? kennedy claire danvers, get your little ass home!

My little sister finally replies shortly after.

Ken: shut up, ripley. brynn, you're at the house?

Me: yess, come soon. need to talk asap.

Rip: about what??

Me: uhhhhhhh

Ken: on my way, jacob is dropping me off already.

Rip: okay, twilight.

Ripley adds a rolling eye emoji.

Rip: fuck you guys, i want to be included in this talk too.

Me: god, okay i'll facetime you when she gets home.

Rip: :))))))))

I roll my eyes and shove my phone into my back pocket. "She says she's on her way home. I'm gonna go wait for her in her room," I say with a smile so they won't ask me if I'm okay again. They always can tell when I'm upset. "Are you hungry?" my dad asks. I shake my head, "I already ate with the girls earlier." The cheer team went out to eat after today's game and I'm still full. My parents both nod before I escape upstairs to my little sister's room.