Halloween.

Cgc

I iron my red button-down shirt in the living room as my roommates and I get ready for the Halloween party Max's frat is throwing. I wasn't planning on dressing up this year but you can only get into this party with a costume. It's why I let Brynn convince me into dressing up. Rhys comes downstairs and throws me a flask way too quickly. I barely catch it and glare at him. "Sorry," he says. I set it down on the counter as I pull the shirt I'm wearing over my head. "What's in there?" I ask him. "Goose," he replies, grabbing his wifebeater from the dryer. Grey Goose. It might not be the best option to drink on a Sunday again but it's not our fault Halloween was today.

We didn't do anything yesterday after winning our home game because of today after all. Coach warned us about celebrating too much since some of us do have class and we have to be there or else we won't play in our next game. We don't have practice this coming week because it's finally out bye week — meaning we don't have a game this week — thank God. I've never had a problem showing up to class so I'm not worried about that now. Plus, if I hear someone doesn't show up to class, I'll go to their place or dorm myself to wake them up. Captain duties or whatever.

I button up the button up I bought, leaving the top three buttons undone. "Sexy," Rhys says, smacking the part where my chest is visible. "You ready?" I ask. He looks around the kitchen and grabs the silver chain I bought him for his 21st birthday in May. He puts it on and gives me a thumbs up. I grab the devil horns from the counter and throw him his fake wings. "Let's go," I say. I put my wallet and phone in my pocket before we both leave the townhouse. Valdez, Xander, Maddy, and Novalee are already there but we were a little late on getting ready today.

The frat house already reeks of alcohol and sweat as we enter. It's only eleven pm and if I'm right, we're only about two hours late. The music blares throughout the house and people dance on each other as best as they can in their ridiculous costumes. I follow Rhys as we meet our friends in the living room of the house. "Cute, cute," Max says when he sees Rhys and I. He passes me a bottled beer as I make my way past him and I accept it gracefully. It's already crowded in here but I take a seat on the couch's arm next to wear Nova sits. I lean down to get close to her ear. "Have you seen Brynn?" I ask, raising my voice slightly because of the music.

I stand back up straight and Nova shakes her head. I nod in thanks and pull out my phone from my pocket. I texted her about an hour ago but she never replied. In fact, her texts to me have been inconsistent since Friday. I'm trying not to bother her too much just in case it has anything to do with her and Ripley's argument but I just want her to talk to me about it. I don't know what I can do to make her feel better about it, but I'll be there for her if she needs to do so much as rant. I hover my thumbs over my keyboard, but shove my phone back in my pocket, deciding not to double text her.

Max comes up next to me again, placing his large hand on my left shoulder. He bends his knees so that he's in height to say something in my ear. "I've got a cute brunette in the kitchen asking for you," he almost shouts. I turn my head to reply. "What does she want?" I ask. "You, man!" He turns his head and I follow his gaze. A girl in an angel costume — ironically — stands in the kitchen already looking over at us. She smiles in my direction, waving. I'm not attracted to her at all. Is she my type? Hell yes. Am I interested in her? Hell no. I turn around and shake my head, not even greeting her back. "Not interested, Max," I say, taking a swig of the Ultra.

His eyes widen at me like I'm fucking insane. I actually might be.

"You sure?" he says. I nod and he doesn't try to change my mind as he leaves to talk to her again I assume. "This place is filled with pussy, man. Take your pick." I roll my eyes, turning around to see who's the culprit of those nasty words. Ashton. Of course. He spots me once I make eye contact and his eyes light up. "Cgc Scott!" he says, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I almost flinch back but he tightens his grip on me. "Hey, man! It sucks to see your little blonde friend did have a boyfriend after all," he says in my ear. I stiffen, thinking he's talked to her. Why would he think she has a boyfriend? "Or maybe she just rejected you because she doesn't like you," I retort with a fake smile. That sentence definitely hit close to home.