Fake Fairytales.

Cgc

"You're taking long," Nova says, smacking my left pec with her hand. I'm currently giving her a piggyback ride downstairs from Valdez's room where she was taking a nap. All the boys went to the gym for God knows what reason. I'll take not being sore before the game on Saturday. I reach the couch and throw her on it. "Morning, pretty," Maddy says as Nova lands next to her. Novas cheeks flush a light shade of pink. "Hey, when did you get here?" Nova asks. "Ten minutes ago," she replies, biting down on a granola bar.

I throw myself back on the couch in front of them and prop my feet up on the coffee table. "How did the talk with Brynn go?" Nova says before yawning. "Okay. We're not like dating or anything. Just friends," I tell her. She frowns quickly. She wanted me and Brynn to start dating ASAP. Me too, Nova. Me too. But things don't always work in my favor and I've learned that. "Why!?" she asks. "She's still not ready for a relationship. I can't fault her," I shrug, "I've been like that for forever, too."

"But you're finally not!" Nova replies. I roll my eyes. "Yes, but she is and what the fuck am I supposed to do about that? Force her to date me?" I ask.

"No." Maddy says.
"Yes!" Nova says.

Perfect.

They both look at each other. "I'm not forcing her to do shit. I like being friends with her after all. There's no rush, right? We're still in college anyway," I say with a shrug. Brynn said I didn't have to wait on her and while I will, it wouldn't hurt to have a little fun along the way. The moment she's ready, I'll drop anyone I'm currently with. "I think I like fuckboy Cgc more. Hearing you talk about one girl is weird," Maddy puts her two cents in. I turn away from the tv to face her. "You're just saying that because you don't like Brynn," I retort.

"No, I do not. But that has nothing to do with my opinion," she states before giving all her attention back to her phone. I roll my eyes at her statement. "Max likes her," I say to annoy her. It's true though, Max thinks Brynn is cool from the times we've all hung out together. Maddy glares up at me from her phone, her jaw tightened. "Don't like that, princess?" I tease. "I'll cut your ugly eyes out, don't test me," she threatens. "Uhh," Nova cuts in.

"Max won't like her if I tell him not to," Maddy retorts. I scoff, "Command your boyfriend, not your friend," I bite back. "Best friend and I'll do what I want," Maddy shrugs before getting up and leaving upstairs. Nova follows her every move until the noise of Xander's door closing fills both of our ears. "Why are you being mean to her?" she says, looking back at me. "I didn't say anything. She's the one who threatened to cut my eyes out," I defend. "After you said something about Max," she says condescendingly.

"Oh, please. He's one of my best friends too, I can talk about him all I want," I say. "You know she's being a drama queen and has no real reason to hate Brynn," I tell Novalee. She doesn't say anything, looking away from me. She knows I'm right. "Still, be nice. You guys used to get along so well," she says. "We still do," I say that much. My mind drifts to a sudden realization. It's not the first time I've thought about this. I first discovered my realization last year when Maddy and Nova first decided to get a job together.

Maddy's parents. It's something she's open about. She doesn't hide the fact that her parents couldn't give a shit about her. It's a harsh way to put it, but those are the same exact words she uses when talking about the situation. She was more vocal about it back then when her parents dropped her financially. Now, she's quieter about it, not bringing it up at all.

I feel for her. We're on the same boat.

The only difference is that I still talk to my parents and continue to disappoint myself when I realize they won't change. Also despite everything, I love my mother and father. Maddy seems like she only carries pure resentment for hers. I've never talked to her about our common problem since she knows nothing about mine.