Game Day.

Brynn

"Thanks for the ride," I tell Lauren as I throw my phone and water bottle into the backseat of her white Mercedes. Sabrina sits in the back with me and Hailey takes over the passenger seat. "No problem," she says, waiting for me to get my duffel bag in the trunk. I shut the trunk after pushing my things down and hop into the car, closing the door. It's a hot day in California, when is it not? It's currently five in the afternoon so the heat is at its best right now, making me sweat even after being outside for less than a minute.

The game doesn't start until seven but we always meet at the stadium by at least five-thirty to get some last minute stunting, tumbling, and chant practice in. I fix my bow behind my head, making sure it doesn't move out of place on my low pony. I woke up early today to get some assignments in before tomorrow's due date and decided to take a nap afterward. I only woke up thirty minutes ago, so I rushed. The only makeup on my face right now is under-eye concealer to hide my bags, mascara, and gloss.

"Hey, Brynn, I forgot to tell you that you're flying today," Lauren says from the front, looking for a parking space. "What?" I say, my voice pitching up an octave. "Jude is out. She came down with a cold or something. You have to fly," she tells me, acting like nothing is wrong with her statement. Everything is absolutely wrong with it. I haven't been in the air since I was in high school. Four years ago! I do not want to embarrass my team and myself by falling on my ass.

"Can't Brina go up?" I set up the freshman next to me. She's about my size anyway. "Uhm, no. I've never flown before," Sabrina says. Lauren looks at me through the mirror. "You're the only girl who has some experience." She shrugs her shoulders. Okay. . . maybe I can do this. If my muscle memory can cooperate with me, I'll be fine. I hope. "No extensions, right?" I ask, hopeful. I'll definitely fall on my ass if we try any kind of extensions.

"We'll see how you do. If you're not shaky, we'll try extension," Lauren says with a smile. I hold back a groan, not wanting to argue with my captain. Nerves prickle my skin as she parks and turn off the car. We all get out and grab our stuff from the trunk before walking into the stadium where coach Jade and other girls already sit and stretch. Lauren hooks her arm through mine and leans in closer to my ear. "Take risks, Brynn," she says with a wink. I know she's talking about stunting but I can't help but bite back.

We both throw our bags on the sideline and find a space on the greener than ever grass. "Okay, Aiyden Johnson," I spit out. Her eyes widen and she pushes me with her hips causing me to stumble a bit. "Do not say his name out loud, I don't want anyone knowing about. . . us," she says, hesitating on what to call whatever they have going on. I pull my skirt up, my black shorts covering my ass below it, and then sit on the grass to stretch. "I thought you were just getting your pleasure and leaving?" I question. She snorts and I furrow my brows in confusion.

We sit feet away from the other girls, so no one can hear us. Plus, everyone is indulged in their own conversations. She pulls her pullover off, being careful to not fuck up her makeup and hair. She's not in uniform yet, wearing only a matching black workout set. Her brown skin shines in the sun, her toned abs on show. She's really fit as she also runs track, or cross country to be more specific. She sits in front of me and begins to stretch with me. "I can't believe you worded it like that," she says, shaking her head. I roll my eyes at her. "Well, I'm not going to say that word right now in public," I tell her.

"We're adults," she shrugs, "and no one can hear you." I look around and it's true. Girls are too far to hear our conversation now and Coach Jade is talking to one of the football coaches more near the field. Fans are just starting to show up but they're way too far away from us to be able to hear me. I clear my throat. "Well, I asked you a question," I say, changing the subject. Lauren pulls her legs into a butterfly position and I do the same, getting closer to her. "I don't know," is all she says.