chapter nineteen ; "warmth."

Blue M O O N

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ ; "ᴡᴀʀᴍᴛʜ."

299 AC. THE WESTERLANDS.

IT WAS ICY. The winds were howling like a pack of dire wolves, the trees bent to their sheer power - yet the mountains remained strong and firm, a giant to an ant. The ground was muddied from recent rainfall, though there was no longer a cloud in the sky and the moon still hung on the dark canvas, surrounded by wiring speckles of white. Winter was surely on the horizon. 

The woodland seemed to be alive, as roots and bark stirred beneath prehistoric earth. A shaky breath left Jenny's lungs, visible in the air - she was shivering, her arms tucked stiffly underneath her armpits. Jaime turned, tugging on her arm lightly as his hands trembled from the weather, helping her stagger along. She couldn't remember how long they had been walking for

"It's so cold," Jenny breathed out, her boots squelching in the mud, the bottom of her milk-glass-colored nightdress stained with grit and mud. 

In the light of the moon, Jaime's eyes gleamed mint. He shrugged off the deep red jacket that covered his shoulders, cloaking the smaller woman swiftly. He tried to flash a smile, despite the chattering of his teeth. "We'll stop soon," the Lannister promised, eyes scanning the black surroundings to look for shelter. 

The blonde nodded to him - a signal of thanks, her lips were too sore from the cold to move. The innards of the jacket were still warm, protecting her from the relentless wind, that now whipped at her face. A few paces away, Jaime's eyes locked upon a clearing next to a tiny cave; a perfect place to shelter from the wind, surrounded by dense thickets and shrubbery. 

"There," Jaime pointed through squinted eyes, as the wind wounded them. "We'll rest there," he reiterated trying to be louder than the wind. 

Once again, Jenny nodded - she was sure there was an icicle somewhere on her body. The man was the only reason her legs still walked, the Daemadar was convinced they might fall off; frozen. In the darkness, the cave was barely visible; the only reason Jaime could see it was because of the tiny sliver of moonlight that outlined the gaping entrance. Jenny had seen the cave through bleary eyes, only briefly, it looked like the perfect place for a Westerosi lion to rest and her deprived body saw shapes of twisted shadows climbing up the walls, reaching out for her.

Goosebumps flickered across parts of the blonde's exposed skin. Twisting shadows, clawing from the epicenter of some ancient blood magic. The shadowed figure of a man that murdered Renly haunted her vision - she stopped still in her tracks. 

The knight turned, feeling the sudden restraint posed by the maiden. He turned, his hair cascading wildly across his eyes.

"Whatever is the matter?" Jaime asked sharply, seeing her sapphires widen.