chapter six ; "the spider."

BLUE  M O O N

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx ; "ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴘɪᴅᴇʀ."

297 AC

297 AC. KING'S LANDING.

THE REST OF THE JOURNEY DOWN THE KING'S ROAD HADN'T BEEN PLEASANT AT ALL, FOLLOWING AN INCIDENT IN WHICH ONE OF THE STARK GIRL'S (ARYA'S) DIREWOLF HAD A KNAW ON THE CROWN PRINCE'S ARM - CERSEI WAS FURIOUS THAT JOFFREY WOULD 'BARE THESE SCARS THE REST OF HIS LIFE.' No doubt, the bite hurt - but ultimately, after consoling an upset Arya and gaining the full story; Jenny decided that the direwolf, Nymeria, wasn't in the wrong. Of course, it was the royal prick that was in the wrong, Nymeria was just defending her master and before anything had even happened further - Jenny advised the young girl to simply set the large beast free, before Cersei could have a garment fashioned out of her. 

Ultimately, the escape of Nymeria wasn't enough - Sansa paid the price now; the gods were punishing her for not defending her family, Lord Stark was sentenced to execute her dire wolf instead; poor Lady. Funnily enough, Robert Baratheon wasn't horrified at the possibility of his heir losing an arm to a loyal dog - he was absolutely mortified and humiliated that his legacy had been disarmed by a little girl. However, Jenny couldn't have been more proud of the girl; it felt like the time Eyva managed to disarm Robb Stark when they were younger. Unfortunately, Lady hadn't been the only casualty - the butcher's boy, Mycah, had been slaughtered needlessly by Sandor Clegane for harming the Prince; Jenny helped burry him, that made her truly upset.

Yet, Jenny was absolutely furious - she had heard Anthor had accompanied the Hound in finding the boy and circling him in the forest where he ran. She hadn't spoken to him since it happened, neither had her father; they were deeply disappointed in him, more than Mani and Eyva were - Mani was tearful at the news, having played with the butcher's boy before. Seeing Mani cry made Anthor feel extremely upset, but he didn't have remorse for assisting in taking a life; he was a member of the noble white cloaks, he was simply following orders. Ser Barristen was least impressed with him as well, not that it actually showed - but a large frown dawned his face hearing the news. 

Now, the procession was approaching King's Landing and Jenny was looking outside of the wagon's small glass window with utmost curiosity - this would be her first time seeing a city so great as King's Landing. She was dissatisfied. The only great structure she could see was the Red Keep, it was a magnificent building, though it was much younger than Winterfell's keep - it had been built by a dynasty that was supposed to last a life time. Daenerys Targaryen. Why did her dream speak her name? It still completely irked Jenny, why was she significant to her? More importantly, what was Lord Daemadar hiding? Surely, Ashter had to know - she'd ask him in a letter. 

Letters. In all the debarkle with Bran, Jenny had forgot to write to her Grandmother; Lady Olenna would be least impressed, she adored hearing about her oldest granddaughter's life - mainly because Jenny's mother, Alia, was her favourite child, not Mace. If it was up to Olenna, she would've made Alia inheret High Garden and all it's titles; but it wasn't, law was law. Yet, Jenny was sure her Grandmother would know multiple answers to her questions or better yet, a person to source information from. Then it hit her. The spider, Varys, she had heard about the master of whispers and all of the secrets he kept, surely he'd know something about it.