61: Fight Night

HEY EVERYONE, here it is, finally posted publically for you! I hope you enjoy this one, it's in a different format than usual due to its nature and it is mostly filler to escalate the plot.

Give a big thanks to Bobbie15Jo for co-writing this chapter, I've been struggling with third POV and putting this chapter together. if you need something else to read, go check out her story DON'T GET DEAD!

R I C K

Rick and the small group decided to take two cars to Woodbury, knowing that they needed the spare room when they saved Glenn, Maggie and Toby. The first car was directed to stop at the side of the road by Michonne, informing the group that they had driven far enough. Everyone exited the car, pulling their weapons and bags from the trunks.

"They have patrols," Michonne walked around the back of the car. "We're better off on foot."

"How far?" Rick asked. "Night's coming."

"It's a mile, maybe two."

They were unsure, but getting caught by the people at Woodbury before they could carry out the rescue could have dire consequences. They had to follow Michonne's lead until they got their people back, which seemed too long for Rick.

The group followed her into the forest, making sure she walked in front. She knew the way, and they didn't want to have her behind them to run or betray them.

Tyreese turned to Oscar, a smile playing on his lips. "Are you still wearing the prison jumpsuit?"

"I'm six-foot-five, it's hard enough to shop," Oscar rolled his eyes. "You think I've had time to run to the mall?"

Tyreese laughed, shaking his head. "We'll have to run for some new clothes when this is over."

Rick jogged a little to catch up with Daryl. He hadn't missed how distracted Daryl had been acting, but it was to be expected. Rick was worried just the same about their people, though Daryl was sure to be more focused on Toby. Rick's mind had wondered to Toby more than Glenn and Maggie, Rick admitted to himself, but Toby was a child. Although the situation was scary and worrisome, it was expected that Maggie and Glenn could handle themselves more than the child could.

Rick was sure that Daryl was blaming himself for not keeping a close enough eye on her, but Rick knew that if Toby wanted to go on the run, Daryl paying more attention meant nothing. As much as Rick understood the determination and stubbornness of the children, he was still surprised that it had been Toby. Rick had at least expected it from Carl, not Toby. What had made Toby act out in such a way? Rick knew Daryl was asking the same questions.

"I know what you did for me," Rick began. He gave a pause, trying to look for the right words to express his gratitude, "for my baby, while I was . . . while I was working things out—thank you."

Daryl nodded. "It's what we do."

"Although," Rick continued. "Carl did tell me you've been calling my girl Lil' Asskicker."

Daryl only chuckled in response, but then scoffed in an attempt to hide whatever humour he experienced. A twig snapped around them, and Daryl could hear the faintest shuffling in the leaves that covered the ground.

"Rick," Daryl barked in a whisper. "Down."

The group obeyed, glancing back at Daryl. A swarm of Walkers surrounded them, blocking their escape in any direction. Rick decided that they would have to kill as much as possible and run, knowing that having that many Walkers following them to Woodbury, could be catastrophic. It would bring too much attention.