40: False Hope

The next morning, Rick stood in front of the group, who were gathered in the living room. Daryl and Guillermo were missing from the group.

Rick looked everyone over, clapping to grab their attention.

"Morning everyone! Today's the fun part. We're going to split into groups and search all these houses, or as many as we can. We're looking for canned goods and supplies, first aid kits, and more importantly; making sure this place is secure and there aren't any house guests hiding inside like there were with this one. Keep your guns out, and be ready to fire, this is going to be dangerous so keep your eyes open and stay alert. Also, keep in mind that we'll be spreading out into these houses after we secure them, so look them over, if you see one you like, keep it in mind. Looks like there's going to be more than enough to go around."

"Where's Daryl?" T-Dog spoke up.

"He went to sleep in the RV last night, he hasn't come back yet so I guess he slept in."

"Daryl doesn't sleep in. You sure he's okay?"

"Guillermo slept out there too. I'm going to go grab some stuff, get them up. Everyone else feel free to go ahead." Rick wasn't concerned, out of all of them Daryl worked the hardest, he was always hunting and searching around, even when he didn't have to. He took more watch shifts than anybody. "Carl, you want to help me get stuff from the RV?"

"Sure! I want a granola bar anyway. Toby, do you want to come to?"

Toby, who was hidden behind the others, pushed her way passed them to approach Carl. She didn't say anything but followed the two out.

Rick instructed the others to pick their own groups. He glanced at Tyreese briefly, almost waiting for him to say he couldn't help, he and Sasha would be leaving. But he didn't, he paired up with T-Dog.

"This place is so cool!" Carl said on the walk to the RV, which was still parked outside the gate. Carl turned to Toby, who was following a few feet behind him. "Are you excited?"

Toby shrugged before glancing at the houses behind her.

"Do you want to search with me again? We make sure they're safe and search for supplies?"

She turned back to look at him and then nodded. Carl continued to smile, following his father who was doing the same. Rick put his arm around Carl as they walked.

"Dad? Could me and Toby clear a house?"

"Of course, you helped last night, didn't you?"

"No, I mean, alone. Just us."

Rick continued to smile, looking down at his son. "You know, I think that's a great idea. As long as you both are comfortable, and you promise to behave responsibly and you're careful. You've been doing a great job since you first started helping us with this, I trust you two will back each other up well."

Carl could barely contain his excitement. Toby was surprised Rick agreed, she briefly wondered what Lori would think of it. That thought was gone though as she eyed Rick arm around Carl, they were happy walking side by side. It bothered her.

She wondered about her dad, where he was, what he was doing, which she would every once in a while before trying to think of anything but him. It was almost impossible to push away the thought of her father every time she thought of him.

This time was different. When the thought of her father slipped in, she thought of how he'd never done something like that. He'd never put her arm around her, smiling like Rick was with Carl. But then, her father was pushed out quickly by someone that did. Shane.

Mental pictures, memories clouded her mind. Shane had put her arm around her, walking with her peacefully. She recalled how much it put her off, how much it confused her before she began to enjoy the physical contact. It felt like so long ago that just his usual pat on the shoulder was so intimate to her, she'd jump and back away. But after she got used to it, Toby looked forward to that small gesture of reassurance. It was a silent way of saying, 'I'm here, everything's good'.