24: Another Grave

After watching as they pulled that guy; Randall out of the car, Daryl had taken notice of me. He quietly made his way toward me and told me I should go back into the tent. With one last glance at the group, I did as he said. I wasn't sure I wanted to know what was going on anymore.

It's always just one problem after another isn't it? We get rid of the Walkers, Carol's arm got cut off, but apparently she still might die, and now . . . I struggled a way to word Randall's appearance. Why was he blindfolded? Why is he even here? Hershel doesn't want us here, but now other people can be here?

I laid myself in the sleeping bag, my mind racing with all my questions and thought. I was sure I wouldn't fall asleep, but after a while, I did.

    🗡 🗡 🗡      

I woke up in a jolt, having heard a noise. Looking around after sitting up, I saw that it was only Daryl, unzipping the tent to get out. He glanced at me briefly and left the tent, leaving it unzipped.

Is he still mad at me?

Getting out of the sleeping bag, I saw my knife sheath placed beside my backpack. I stared at it, wondering if I should put it on. I hadn't worn it the last few days, and the Walkers were taken care of, so I decided to leave it.

"Toby, come get some food," Lori summoned me over to the fire when I crawled out of the tent. I was really hungry so I obeyed, though I was still hesitant. She didn't seem to take any notice of my reservation as she handed me a paper plate with fried eggs on it. Carl was sitting with his own plate close by her.

I couldn't help but look over to him and our eyes met. I tore my eyes away from him as Lori passed me a fork, but I saw out of the corner of my eye that he was still looking at me.

I was about to go back to sit by the tent, I turned with the intention to do so, but then I saw Guillermo. I paused for a brief moment, then looked around to see Daryl was nowhere in sight. Guillermo was just sitting, leaning against a tree staring at his plate. After a moment or two, I went over to him and sat down.

I swallowed nervously, not sure if it was what I wanted to do. I wasn't even sure why I did it, all this guy ever did was freak everyone out.

He looked at me in surprise, I returned his stare.

"You, uh . . ." I struggled to find words for my question. "You here?"

He stared, taking his time before he gave a very slow nod, "I'm here."

I nodded, so far it looked like he remembered me from yesterday, he didn't look as if he was going to lash out or anything. That was a good sign.

"I'm going to try and stay here."

"That's good," I said quietly.

"Maybe."

As we ate in silence, I noticed how quickly the rest of them ate and left, most of them to the house. Though I never saw Rick or Shane. And I hadn't seen Daryl since he was in the tent. Hershel and his family were inside I guessed, they never ate with us outside.

Even long after we ate, neither me nor Guillermo said a word. It was just complete and utter silence. Oddly enough, it wasn't awkward, I didn't feel as if I was forced to say anything or respond to anything he said. We glanced at each other once or twice, but still said nothing. It felt peaceful.

A while after we finished eating I saw Maggie walk out of the house. I watched her for a moment, feeling sad and nervous, I'd really liked Maggie before, but we still hadn't talked since she was searching me for ticks. There was a part of me hoping she wouldn't talk to me so I could just pretend it never happened, another part of me wanted the opposite.