18: In Trouble

Toby and Carl were sitting together on the bumper of the RV. Dale was there also, having been close when Shane beckoned on Rick and Lori.

T-Dog was nearby as well, glancing at them from time to time as he brought some bags of supplies out from one of the cars they brought back from the highway.

Shane had his arms crossed as he stood with Rick, who was running his hands through his hair in exasperation.

"How the hell did this happen?" Lori was looking from Carl to Toby, "what were you thinking?"

Neither of the children looked up from their shoes. Carl had his hands on his lap, while Toby had hers under her thighs, hoping to hide their trembling. She could feel her body shaking from fear and anticipation. She knew they were in deep trouble and had no idea how much worse it would get.

But she could certainly imagine.

Lori didn't notice her trembling. She was eyeing Carl, trying to figure out what drove him to do such a thing, watching him as he sat silently, she couldn't seem to shake her disbelief.

Dale stepped forward with an apologetic expression, "well, it's my fault. I let him into the RV, he said he wanted a walkie. That you sent him for one," he finished, motioning to Rick.

"So on top of everything else, he lied." Lori put her hand son her knees and bent in front of Carl, in a failed attempt to meet his eyes. "Carl, where is this coming from?"

Carl didn't move or say anything, Lori narrowed her eyes, briefly glancing at Toby. She could see Toby was much more anxious than Carl was, which rose her suspicions.

"Carl," she repeated, "was it you who took the gun?"

There was a long hesitation. Then Carl nodded without looking up.

Lori felt doubtful, "did someone tell you to do it?"

Carl shook his head.

"Carl, look at me," Carl slowly rose his head, meeting his mother's eyes. "Did Toby steal the gun?"

Carl's eyes widened and Toby's head shot up.

"Lori," Rick jumped in, "let's not jump to conclusions."

"Carl wants to learn how to shoot. He came to me earlier, asked me to teach him. Now, it's none of my business but I'm happy to do it." Shane said.

"So, his desire to learn how to shoot leads directly to stealing. That's what you're saying." Lori snapped at Shane, standing up straight.

"Of course not."

"You know Carl, he wouldn't steal. He's a good kid."

"They're both good kids," T-Dog threw in. They turned to him, not expecting his input. T-Dog didn't plan to interfere, it wasn't his business. But he stopped his task of sorting supplies when he decided he didn't like where the argument was going.

"How can you justify that? She's wandering off all the time, making us look for her. She almost got herself killed at the CDC. Then, she almost got Carl killed with her going into that kitchen at the school."

Toby's eyes were unbelievably wide and her face was flushed with exasperation and frustration. She opened her mouth, trying to force out an objection, "I-I didn't-"

"-Quiet," Lori said in a warning tone, shooting Toby a look before returning to the conversation. "Have you already forgotten? This isn't the first time she's stolen a gun."

"Lori, stop." Shane demanded, getting angry aswell, "you aren't being fair."

Carl's jaw had dropped, at a loss for words. He couldn't believe what he caused. The guilt settled into his stomach, making him feel sick. He looked at Toby, who was visibly shaking now, her eyes were wet. Carl was sure that when she finally blinked, tears would fall. Toby was switching her gaze all around, watching the exchange of the adults furiously. Carl couldn't tell if she was more angry or terrified, but he didn't understand why she would be so scared. Carl knew he had to speak up to stop it all, but everytime he opened his mouth, someone else was speaking.