28: Judge, Jury, Executioner

The closer they got to the farm, the more anxious Shane became. Every so often they heard a thumping coming from the trunk. The two men didn't even look at each other the entire drive.

When they pulled in the driveway some of the group looked their way, he saw Toby immediately. She was standing alone, close to the driveway, as if she'd been waiting.

Toby was wearing that large leather jacket that belonged to Merle. Shane held back a smile at how ridiculous she looked in it, she didn't seem like she noticed or cared. Shane didn't like when she wore it, it was a reminder on how much she preferred Daryl and Merle over him.

But lately, since Shane began teaching her how to shoot she'd been calmer around him. He knew she was warming up to him, so he strongly believed he could get her to warm up to his new plan.

Shane opened the door before the car came to a complete stop. He got out and went over to Toby, leaving Rick to deal with the others, he'd have to explain why they brought the prisoner back.

Shane held his arms tightly at his sides as he approached her, tears were welling in his eyes. He thought about how close he came to not coming back. He saw her features turn to shock as her eyes scanned over his face.

He fell to his knees in front of her, trying to keep his composure, he wanted to hug her, hold her close. But he knew she was different than the rest, he'd have to take it slow.

"You're face . . ." she voiced her concern, eyeing the large bruise on the side of his face.

Shane said nothing and only reached out to touch her shoulder, he watched carefully as she didn't react and only stared. He slowly raised his hand up and brushed the hair out of her face. He left his hand there, stroking her hair as his fingers got caught in a small tangle.

"Come here," he whispered gently, meaning it as a request. She finally looked in his eyes, away from the bruises and blood on his face. He wondered what was going through her head.

Upon his request she stepped closer. He brought himself to her, wrapping his other arm around her slowly, he gave her a chance to protest, waiting for her to pull away but she didn't.

Finally he held her tightly against him, one arm around her and his other hand at the back of her head. She was hesitant, but slowly put her arms over his shoulders awkwardly, as if not really knowing how to return the gesture.

"Ya got beat."

Shane took a deep breath. He thought about how lucky it was that he got back, how lucky it was that he was able to hold her. Rick could hold his own out there, just like he could. Lori and Carl didn't need him, they had Rick.

Toby had Shane.

Shane had Toby.

That small realisation did him wonders, he felt slightly at peace with his new purpose.

"Things got rough. We had to bring him back, I tried to end it, Rick wouldn't let me."

"That why you're bruised?"

"Yeah," he sighed. He could feel his own gun that was tucked in her waistband digging into his ribs, he ignored the discomfort of it.

"Why'd you bring him back?"

Shane slowly pulled himself away then, "you need to brush your hair." He smiled, pulling his fingers from her knotted hair. Then he noted the seriousness in her expression. "He knows the farm, he knows Maggie."

"Maggie?" she repeated.

Shane nodded, "we're gonna stick him back in the shed for now."

Shane turned around, following Toby's gaze to some of the others standing by the car, talking to Rick.