63: Growing Pains

I calmed down after a while, but any time I thought of returning to the prison, how Daryl wouldn't be there, I felt a lump in my throat.

"Why we stoppin'?" I heard Michonne talk behind me. She was sitting in the trunk of the SUV. I was a bit envious, she had a lot of space. I, however, was squished against Maggie and the door. Glenn was on the other side of her, at the opposite window from me.

"Road's blocked," Oscar answered from the passenger seat.

I turned my head, watching Rick shift the gear before opening the door to get out. I just turned and stared out the window, uncaring of what was in our way. Maggie, Glenn, and Oscar all got out at some point, which made me realize how checked out I was at that moment. I didn't pay any mind until I heard Glenn shouting a few minutes after. I leaned to the side, peeking out the windshield, Maggie was standing at a red truck in the middle of the road, her head down. Glenn stood in front of Rick, still yelling, waving his hand up and down as if it would get his point across.

"LEAVE IT ALONE!" Maggie's voice screeched. Glenn stopped and turned away.

"Ya know what they're fightin' 'bout?" I asked quietly, knowing Michonne was still in the back. A long time passed, and I was sure she wouldn't answer.

"Woodbury."

I wanted her to be more specific but realized she didn't need to. All the bad stuff was about Woodbury: Merle, the Governor, Daryl leaving, Glenn and Maggie locked away . . . what else would they be upset about?

There was still some shouting after, but I acted like I didn't notice. I said nothing when everyone was back in the car. No one else spoke either, and they all seemed really tense.

I heard the gates before anything else. Gave me the urge to open the car door and run. I didn't want to be there, behind the fences, in the dark, damp, building.

The car was stopped and Rick got out after passing through the first gate. T-Dog was pushing the second gate open, I caught a glimpse of Carl running up to the car.

"Drive them up, I'll meet you there," Rick said.

"Hold on, I'm a bit big to just hop to the next seat." Oscar got out to walk around the car, taking Rick's place in the driver's seat.

"Are they okay? Did you find them?"

"Yes, they're here."

"Is Toby in there?" I heard Carl before the door shut. I tried to see him out of the window again but was in an awkward position. I actually wanted to get out and see him, but the tiredness, pain, and all the emotions I'd felt on the ride held me back.

Oscar drove the car up to the courtyard. A bunch of people were already outside, just waiting for us to get back.

I stayed behind when everyone was getting out of the car. Even the trunk had opened for Michonne. I wasn't ready to face anyone. I didn't know if anyone was mad. I snuck out. I didn't want to tell them about Daryl or even hear them talk about him.

I'd been in silence for maybe five minutes when there was a knock at my window, making me jump. I turned my head to see T-Dog, he opened the door and smiled at me.

"Hey, little T. Come on, you can't sit in here all day."

"I could," I mumbled.

T-Dog frowned. "You're right, you certainly could. I don't doubt it. But come on, everyone wants to see you, and Hershel needs to see that leg."

My shoulders sagged, everyone already knew about my leg. I climbed out of the car, and as soon as I did, T-Dog had wrapped his arms around me and squeezed tight, I'd been so surprised that my arms only hung lamely.