61

A/N: Another double for you :)

The team were soon back on the quinjet, checking over one another for any injuries. Everyone seemed to be okay, just a few cuts and bruises here and there, but nothing major. "We should get matching jumpsuits, they're quite fun!" Y/n hummed as he pulled his jumpsuit off, revealing his mission suit underneath. Wanda shook her head with a laugh, typing up a message to Vision to let him know that she was okay. "Definitely not, jumpsuits like that will never be a cute look." She smiled, her eyes glued to her phone. Natasha nodded at what Wanda said, leaning against one of the chairs to take her boots off, wanting to wear something a bit more comfortable. "And they don't have pockets. Where are we going to keep our weapons?" She hummed, her eyebrows raised in question. Most of the team nodded in agreement, throwing the jumpsuits to one side once they'd changed out of them and into their mission suits. "There's no way we'd be taken seriously in matching jumpsuits. We'd look like we'd just broken out of a clown prison." Sam said with a chuckle, sighing as he sat down on one of the seats. Steve laughed, sitting down in the pilot's seat as he prepared to take off. "I think we already look like we've broken out of a clown prison. One of us has a metal arm, one of us wears goggles and wings, one of us can create energy orbs out of thin air, do you want me to carry on?" He teased, turning back to face the team. "Hey, don't judge my goggles. You're the one who wears the American flag on his chest." Sam teased right back, pointing at Steve to be dramatic. Steve raised his eyebrows with a laugh, shaking his head fondly as he continued to prepare for take-off. "You're just bitter because Bucky fogged up your goggles before the mission."

Soon enough, they were in the air. They weren't going far - since y/n planned on visiting his home town in the morning - but Steve needed a place to park the quinjet close enough to a hotel.

Y/n sighed as he sat down beside Bucky, resting his head on his shoulder. "Are you alright? You've been quiet." He murmured, moving to hold on to his hand. Bucky nodded, squeezing y/n's hand with a weak smile, but it was obvious something was up. "Yeah, yeah. I'm just tired, that's all." He murmured, continuing to stare at the ground in front of him. Y/n raised his eyebrows, he didn't believe a word. "Buck." Y/n warned, leaning over to force him to make eye contact. Bucky sighed, sitting up a little straighter as he tried to look away from y/n's concerned eyes. He wanted to just lie again, but he knew y/n would just keep pushing. "Hearing those screams from the hostages, it just- I don't know." Bucky sighed, shaking his head as he stared down at his and y/n's hands. "The last time I heard screams like that, I was the one with a gun to their head." He murmured with a shaky breath. Y/n's face softened into sympathy as he listened to Bucky, squeezing his hand tightly. He wasn't sure what to say to that, there wasn't much he could say. He just needed to be there for Bucky, that was all he wanted. Bucky took a deep breath, letting go of y/n's hand so he could wrap his arm around him, pulling him close. "And I know they're fine. I know." He murmured, pulling y/n close enough so he could rest his chin on the top of his head. "And I know we're not with Hydra anymore. But it still hurts." He whispered, closing his eyes with a shaky breath. Bucky just needed to vent, he just needed y/n to listen and comfort him without words, and that was exactly what he did. Y/n nodded, allowing Bucky to pull him close. He closed his eyes, listening to his heartbeat with shaky breaths. It had been a long day for both of them, and they both knew the nightmares were going to be bad after all that gunfire.

"Sitcoms tonight?" Y/n asked after several minutes of much needed silence. Bucky smiled fondly, rubbing y/n's back slowly. "Yes please." He hummed, pressing a kiss to the top of his head.

And that was exactly what they did. Y/n and Bucky, up in their hotel room. The only light was the television as old reruns of sitcoms played. Both of their eyes stayed glued to the screen, Bucky's head on y/n's lap as he played with his hair. They could basically quote each episode word-by-word, but they still laughed as if it was the first time watching. That was the charm of the sitcoms, it was a perfect world. Nothing like the messed up world that y/n and Bucky lived in. It was peace. Something that both yearned for, but knew they could never fully reach.

Natasha was sat on the edge of her bed, icing a few bruises on her leg when she heard a knock on the door. "Who is it?" She called out, keeping the ice pressed against her leg. "It's Steve." The tired voice responded, causing Natasha to smile as he opened the door. Steve smiled right back, stepping inside and shutting the door. He leant against the shut door with a sigh, a mug of hot chocolate in hand. It wasn't as good as Wanda's, of course, but it would make do. "Tomorrow's going to be a rough day." He murmured, staring out at the city view. Natasha nodded with a weak smile. "I know." She sighed, moving the ice pack to a different bruise. "But it's worth it. He deserves this." Nat hummed. Steve nodded in agreement, taking a sip of his hot chocolate. "All we can do is be there for him if he needs it. No asking any intrusive questions, nothing. It'll be his day." Steve hummed. That was why he didn't invite anyone like Peter or Scott to the mission. As much as they brought light to the group, he didn't know how y/n was going to react tomorrow. He was visiting his hometown. The one that he was abducted from as a child. It was going to be a rough day, but one that he needed. Y/n deserved to know as much about his roots as possible. He'd been denied his life for so long, it was time.