179

Thanos was there.

He was sat on one of the many mounds of debris, his double-edged sword resting beside him. Calm, relaxed, and patient. There wasn't an ounce of stress in his body. It was eerie. He almost looked like a father watching their child in the playground. It didn't feel right. Nothing felt right.

Y/n's eyes were glued to Thanos' double-edged sword. The same double-edged sword that had impaled him five years ago. The same sword that was then ripped out of him by Thanos reversing time. That sensation still scarred him. Blood rushing back down his throat, skin and organs healing right before his eyes, it was terrifying. But there was one thing that Thanos told him that stuck in his mind.

'Killing you here would be a relief to you. Would it not? You'd be able to escape all of the memories, all of the nightmares, everything. Leaving you with your mind is a far greater form of torture than anything I could do to you.'

He saved y/n because he knew that his own mind was going to destroy him one day. That thought alone was horrifying.

Thanos, a ruthless, genocidal, purple giant, chose not to murder him in cold blood because his mind was capable of doing a better job.

Y/n didn't even know how to react to those words, yet they'd stuck in the back of his mind for five years. To see him again, just a small distance away, sent chills down his spine. All he wanted to do was run over there and finish the job for himself. To prove him wrong and murder him in cold blood and put a halt to whatever plan that he had brewing in his head. He was far stronger than the memories that haunted him, right?

Steve noticed the murderous look in y/n's eyes in a matter of seconds. So did Tony, and so did Thor. It was pretty obvious. His once shocked and confused face had fallen into one of focus, and his shaky breathing from being dunked into ice-cold water had completely stilled. Steve wasn't sure how to react. He wasn't sure if he should stop him and talk him out of it, or if he should just let him attack. Hell, he wanted to attack Thanos too, they all did.

Tony turned his head away from y/n, his eyes fixed on Thanos once again. "What's he been doing?" He asked in a hushed tone. Just seeing Thanos' face again made him feel sick to his stomach. It reminded him of the fateful day when he lost Peter. The poor kid dusted away in his arms, begging to stay and apologising as if he'd done something wrong. That memory had never cleared from Tony's conscience. He'd do anything to get revenge for that.

Thor let out an exasperated breath. He had a tight grip on his hammer and his axe, ready to fight at any given moment. "Nothing." He murmured, tilting his head to the side as he watched Thanos. Just seeing the giant filled him with rage and sadness. Thanos murdered his brother with his bare hands, Thor wanted real revenge this time. "Absolutely nothing."

"Well, let's give him something to do." Y/n said in a serious tone. Raging flames encased his fists, drying the water droplets off of the surrounding skin. He looked similar to the Zemo incident. Same murderous, empty glare. Except this time he was fighting on the correct side. Y/n took a step forward, ready to make a beeline toward Thanos, but Steve suddenly grabbed his arm, forcing him to stop walking. He turned his head toward him, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and annoyance. Why wasn't he allowed to attack Thanos? "Steve-"

"He's right, Rogers." Tony interrupted. For once, he was defending y/n. It was a shock to everyone, even him, but it was the right move. "I'm not going to let that asshole of a... thing, just sit there and act all smug. Let's give him something to do. Let's finish this thing once and for all." He nodded, moving Steve's hand off of y/n's arm. He activated the helmet on his suit for extra precaution before he turned back toward the direction of Thanos. "Come on, let's go see this purple grape."

Y/n watched with wide eyes as Tony defended her. It wasn't enough for him to forgive him for anything, but it was nice that they could be on the same page for some things. A small, excited smile appeared on y/n's face as Tony called Thanos a 'purple grape'. It felt like old times. The time when the team would go on fun missions together and all work in harmony. God, that hadn't happened in years. It was nice that for their final mission they could have that harmonious vibe again. All one mindset. All fixed on stopping that asshole.

"Let's go." Y/n repeated, stepping forward again. This time nobody stopped him. Instead, they all walked in unison. All angry at that smug giant. All prepared to give the final blow. It seemed like an easy fight. Thanos had no army around him, no defenses, just him. Well, him and the ominous spaceship that loomed in the sky. But if Thanos wanted to kill them, he would've unleashed his army by now.

Thanos lifted his head up in amusement as the four of them approached. He hummed, standing up from the pile of debris that he'd been sitting on. He lifted his double-edged sword out of the ground, yet he hadn't moved into any sort of fighting or defense position, he was still so calm, and that sent rage burning through y/n's veins. Thanos opened his mouth to speak, but just before he could, y/n interrupted.

"You just blew up our home. I'm not really in the mood for a civil conversation. What do you guys think?" Y/n said in a sarcastic tone, turning his head toward the other three beside him, who all silently agreed. He didn't have the patience nor the time to listen to one of Thanos' long, philosophical speeches. He'd ruined enough of everyone's lives, he didn't deserve to be listened to.

"Let's do this then." Y/n smiled, tilting his head to the side in a murderous way.