106

"See anything out of the ordinary yet?" Steve asked over the earpiece, his voice slightly hushed despite not being near anyone.

The team had arrived in Lagos after a quick flight in the quinjet, and everything seemed to be going to plan. Everyone seemed to have changed their moods into ones that were more focused, including y/n. It wasn't normal for y/n to be acting so serious, but it just seemed fitting for the situation. This man was an ex-Hydra operative. Hydra took y/n's life from him. Let's just say that he wasn't really in the mood for jokes.

"Nothing that I can see." Y/n murmured, putting his phone to his ear so people didn't think that he was talking to himself. He had managed to find a coffee shop with outdoor seating, so he'd bought himself a coffee and sat down at one of the tables. Y/n was trying his hardest to blend in, and was doing a pretty good job at it. But that wasn't a surprise. He was a secret to the world for decades, hiding in plain sight wasn't a thing that y/n struggled with. He took a slight breath as he leaned back in his chair, continuing to pretend that he was having a phone call.

"What do you see?"

"There's a lot of cars, but nothing out of the ordinary. None of the cars look armoured, and I can see the faces of all the people in each car." Y/n hummed casually, taking a sip of his coffee. He was almost grateful that they weren't launched straight into action, but now he was constantly on edge and waiting for something to happen. If Bucky was on the mission, they would've created a Fred and Jack scenario - that would've definitely lifted his spirits. But, y/n was actually being serious for once. The fact that Rumlow used to work for Hydra made him feel sick. He had a hand in Bucky's brainwashing. It was disgusting. If his nightmares weren't haunting him, y/n would definitely be trying to kill Rumlow. He wanted revenge for everything that Hydra did.

"Hey, y/n. Garbage truck coming your way, keep an eye on it. It's acting weird." Natasha suddenly chimed in over the earpiece.

Y/n looked up from his coffee, frowning as he noticed the garbage truck barrelling down the road. He sat up a little straighter, setting his phone back into his pocket so he could focus a little better. The garbage truck was causing carnage in the already busy road, practically forcing its way through the centre. "Sam, can you get Redwing to check the inside of that truck?" Y/n asked, preparing himself to get up. Several cars were beeping at the truck as it sped down the road, causing a lot of commotion with pedestrians and people sat trying to enjoy their coffees. Y/n grimaced slightly at all the noise and the chaos that was beginning to bubble, he wasn't awake enough for all of this noise. He slowly begun to get out of his chair as he watched Redwing fly down and analyse the truck. Y/n already knew that it was suspicious, but he needed Sam to confirm it before he jumped into action.

Sam glanced down at the device on his arm that connected to redwing, frowning at the sight. He was stood at the edge of a rooftop with a perfect view of the garbage truck, he just needed the confirmation from Steve. "The driver and the passenger are armoured. It's at max weight, and gaining speed. Which means-"

"It's a battering ram." Natasha and Wanda said in unison, standing up from their tables.

It was go time.

Nat begun to sprint after the garbage truck, weaving through the busy crowds on the sidewalk. She pulled out her gun from the inside of her jacket, continuing to sprint as fast as she could without running into anyone, which was a hard task. Natasha cursed slightly under her breath, keeping both hands on her gun. She couldn't get close enough to the truck to shoot out its tires. The risk of accidentally shooting a civilian was too high. "I can't get close enough to shoot! Wanda, figure out where they're going!" Nat called out over the earpiece, continuing to run as fast as she could.

"Got it!" Wanda called out, using her powers to fly up into the air. She made sure not to be spotted by any of the men, flying as high as she possibly could. It didn't take long for Wanda to spot a huge building ahead of the truck, frowning as she lowered herself down to take a look. "IFID..." She murmured, squinting as she tried to find the definition on the sign. But, as soon as she read it, her eyes widened in surprise. "Institute For Infectious Diseases!" Wanda called out over the earpiece, quickly flying back up into the air before she could get spotted. This was more serious than the team thought it was going to be. "Y/n-"

"On it." Y/n responded before Wanda could even ask him. He set his coffee cup down as he walked away from his table, not noticing that he was walking with a 'deathwalk'. Hydra was on his mind, he couldn't help but fall back into old habits. Especially because this man had a hand in the brainwashing of Bucky. If he wanted to torture Hydra soldiers, he could die at the hands of one. Y/n casually walked past a biker, stealing the keys from his table with ease. The man didn't even notice. He begun to pick up the pace once he stole the keys, quickly getting on the motorcycle and starting it up. Y/n didn't have time to debate whether or not to put the helmet on, so he simply left it on the ground as he zoomed out onto the road. There were no jokes or sarcasm this time, y/n was in the focus mode that he always teased Steve for.

Y/n let the motorcycle go as fast as possible, gripping onto the handles tightly. He cursed slightly at the sheer amount of cars he had to weave through, but he was gaining on the truck. "Shooting the tires isn't going to work, Nat. It'll crush too many pedestrians." He called out over the earpiece, pulling out his gun from the holster on his jeans. Y/n had another plan. He was just going to shoot the driver and the passenger. A look of determination was plastered across y/n's face as he took a side road, managing to get beside the truck. He blasted the driver door open with an energy orb, preparing to shoot the driver. But, before he could, the driver and the passenger jumped out of the truck, causing y/n to finally look up and realise where he was. But, by the time he had realised, it was far too late.

The truck crashed straight into the guarded entrance to the facility, and so did y/n.