182

Y/n's earpiece had been completely shattered, but he could hear Steve's loud and clear.

The pair were stood in a state of shock, unsure of what to say or how to react. They knew that voice, but it didn't seem real. Y/n even debated if he was hallucinating, but a quick pinch to his skin was enough to confirm that he was awake. The silence between them was deafening, both staring at Thanos' army as they listened to the voice in Steve's ear.

Steve took a sharp breath, slowly lifting his hand up to rest on his earpiece. He wanted to respond, but no words left his lips. He was too shocked, too exhausted. The only confirmation that he wasn't hallucinating was the fact that y/n had heard it too. It was real. The voice was real. In the midst of the chaos, he and y/n had forgotten that Bruce had snapped everyone back.

"On your left." Sam hummed through the earpiece, a smile obvious in his tone of voice.

The sound of a spark behind them caused y/n's head to whip around, but instead of fighting, a breath of relief escaped his lips. "Steve..." He whispered, causing him to turn around to face whatever he was looking at.

It was one of Dr Strange's portals, and y/n knew exactly where it was from. That skyline was something that he'd stared at for months on end.

T'Challa, Shuri, and Okoye stepped through the portal and onto the debris-littered ground. A serious look painted each of their faces as they stared out at Thanos' army in the distance. The Wakandan army were right behind them, spanning from as far as the eye could see. T'Challa made eye contact with y/n and Steve, yet no words were uttered, just a knowing nod.

Sam suddenly flew out of the portal, tapping the back of y/n's head as he flew past. "Heads up!" He laughed. It was something he'd always do during any type of mission with him. If he had a chance, he'd smack the back of his head to annoy him.

Y/n couldn't help but let out a small laugh as Sam smacked him on the back of the head. It definitely hurt this time, especially due to the amount of hits to the head that he'd already taken, but y/n didn't care. Sam was back. He was back, and he was still as stupid as ever.

As his eyes followed Sam soar through the sky, his attention was suddenly captured by the hundreds of portals opening. It wasn't just T'Challa and his army, it was everyone.

Dr Strange, Starlord and his friends, Peter, Wanda, an Asgardian army, an army of people with the same magic as Dr Strange, and so many more. There were so many people he didn't know, but that didn't matter. Hundreds of thousands of people, all there to defend the Earth and defeat Thanos.

Y/n's eyes glistened with tears of happiness as he watched everyone merge from the portals. He was full of a sort of childlike wonder. His shoulders had completely dropped from the relief, a proud smile plastered across his beaten and bruised face. He didn't know what to say or do. It was a type of relief that y/n had never felt before. It was a full body experience. Chills that caused goosebumps to appear across every exposed piece of skin, salty tears that stung his eyes, and an unstoppable smile. He shook from the adrenaline of it all, the only thing that kept him even slightly still was Steve's hand on his shoulder.

They were all back. All back after five long years of exhaustion and pain.

Obviously, the main person that y/n was scanning the crowd for was Bucky. He knew that he would've emerged from the Wakandan portal, but he couldn't see him. There were far too many people. That didn't wipe the smile from his face, though. Y/n knew that Bucky was there. It was impossible for him not to be. He'd run into him soon enough.

Y/n really thought that him and Steve were about to die at the hands of Thanos' army. That Thanos won, and he was going to take his final breath. His life had even begun to flash before his eyes. But, there they all were. The amount of relief that had washed over him in that moment was immense. He just wanted to burst into tears and hug everyone, but there wasn't time.

Steve's eyes flitted between the sight of everyone stepping through and the amazement on y/n's face. A proud, relieved smile played at his lips as he allowed himself to relax a little. He was trying his hardest to hold back tears of joy, but they continued to blur his vision and roll down his cheeks with every blink. He was exhausted, but the sight of everyone reappearing just seemed to fuel him with a newfound energy.

Steve let out a shaky breath as he removed his hand from y/n's shoulder, instead setting it on his back as he guided him to turn around and face Thanos' army. There was one thing left to do. Everyone was waiting on Steve's command. He just had to say two words, and then they'd all start attacking.

They'd all start attacking for one final time.

One final mission.

But, instead of saying those two magic words, he decided to make a different call. He carefully took his earpiece out of his ear, wincing at the pain that ravaged through his body. He didn't drop the earpiece, nor did he simply switch ears. Instead, he held out the earpiece toward y/n. A proud, sincere smile on his face. "Do you want to do the honours?" Steve asked in a hopeful tone, but it wasn't really a question. He wasn't going to let him refuse it.

Y/n's eyes widened at the offer, the joy coursing through him simply seeming to grow stronger and stronger. Of course he'd do the honours, he'd always wanted to do the honours. "Are you sure?" He asked, but was quickly met with a reassuring nod from Steve, and that was all it took for him to carefully take the earpiece out of Steve's dirt-caked palm.

Y/n pulled his broken one out of his ear, letting it drop to the ground before he pushed the new earpiece in. He couldn't stop smiling as he stared out at Thanos' army. This was it. One more mission, and he was in control.

One final deep breath of the smoke-plagued air, and it was time.

"Avengers!" Y/n yelled, savouring the fact that his voice was echoing across the wasteland. "Assemble."