Chapter 7 - I Declare War

"Lexie?"

I look in the direction of the voice. It's Josh. I look at him, expectantly.

"We're back!" He says, cheerfully. Darcy is in his arms. They're both happy and carefree. Darcy is laughing, smiling.

"Daddy took me to forest! I can track down animals, mummy!" She cheers. I smile, lovingly at her.

I give her a kiss on the forehead. She goes to another room and leaves me and my mate behind.

"She's so like you." He says.

"Happy? Sweet? Smiling all the time? Nice to everything and everyone? I don't think so." I reply.

He leans forward for a kiss which I instantly return. Then he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and leans forward again.

"I have a secret." He whispers. I look up at him, curiously.

He pins me down to the floor suddenly. He's about to kiss me again but then he speaks again.

"I killed your parents. I attacked your pack."

My eyes widen as he starts strangling me, I can't breathe and my body is failing to respond.

He moves away from me to Darcy, that's now standing by the door way.

"Daddy, what are you doing to m-" Her body falls to the floor swiftly as a puddle of blood begins to form before she can finish her sentence.

I spring up to a sitting position as a punch the first person to be there when I wake up without giving it a second thought. I see someone dodge and steadily grab my shoulders.

I sigh in relief it's Lewis. I realise I'm shaking and I can't control it. I close my eyes, wrapping the blanket around me.

"Where's Darcy?" I ask realising she's not sleeping next to me. I want to make sure she's okay after my nightmare.

"She's in my room. She woke up about half an hour ago." Replies Lewis.

I gradually start to stop shaking as my best friend climbs next to me and wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"Nightmare again?" He asks. I nod.

Ever since my parent's death, I've been getting bad dreams a few times a week. They can be anything. From them dying to getting tortured or cheated on, it really doesn't matter. What does though is that they're all scary and so real...

Lewis was always there when he heard me toss and turn. I would always wake up to see him.

"It's okay now. You're awake now." He soothes. Has he forgiven me for not telling him? Has he forgotten and gone back to being my best friend?

"Lewis... I really am sorry for not telling you the whole truth." I tell him.

He lets out a deep breath. "I understand."

I take that as a cue to snuggle closer to him as we always do whilst watching movies in the evenings with Darcy.

"Love you, Lewis." I tell him. He gives me a kiss on the forehead and replies back with a "I love you too."

I look up at the sound of a close heart beat and I see Josh standing in the door way. Shortly after a very low and quiet growl can be heard, ever so faintly and you really would need wolf hearing to achknowledge it.

Lewis gives me a light pat on the head as he gets up towards the door. Joshua carries on challenging him and so does Lewis for a few seconds. My mate doesn't seem to move out the way very much. Tension builds up while Lewis walks out the door and even though he now submitted, he's also now started growling.