Chapter Three

Kota

I had been keeping an eye on the house across the street since it was listed for sale. I had been encouraging Sean and Owen to look into it, but they maintained they were happy in their flat. The last family had three young children and had left for a bigger house. Most of the people on the street had young kids while it was great for my kid sister Jessica the lack of teenagers meant that I spent a majority of my time hanging out at the centre. Jessica was the one who spotted the moving van.

"Kota look the new neighbours are finally here." Her face was pressed to the front window. The curtains pulled to the side. Her pink glasses were practically embedded into her rosy cheeks. I tugged on her brown braids.

"They're not a side show no need to look so closely, besides you get a much better view from my room." A large grin lit up her face and she took off racing me up the stairs. At 16 I had the advantage, I lifted Jess up and spun her round putting her at the bottom and blocking her way up the stairs.

"KOTA!" she shrieked stamping her foot.

"Snooze you lose Jess." I took the steps two at a time as Jess scrambled up behind me. I heard mom moving around in the kitchen and Jess did too.

"Mom, Kota's cheating." Jess called out.

"Dakota Jameson Lee, stop cheating." Mom's voice rang out from the kitchen. I sighed.

"Okay mom." Jess giggled and ducked under my arm into my room. She ran to the window seat. I followed along behind her.

"You get a pass because you're twelve but watch out once you're a teenager all bets are off." I warned Jess before nudging her along my seat so I could scope out the neighbours too.

"I know, I know one more year and all bets are off, honestly Kota by then I will have a whole new system to get out of trouble you're the one who should watch out." I laughed with her. The back doors opened on the car and two girls slide out. A brunette who looks about my age and a blonde who looks to be about the same age as Jess.

"Oooh do you think she'll go to school with me?" Jess was bouncing in her seat.

"Sure, I would think so. There's no private middle school near us so your schools kinda the only option in the area. We should let mom know and take over some food, you know be neighbourly." I suggested, Jessica narrowed her eyes and looked at me.

"You're going over because of the girl right? I know what you're up to. Kota and our neighbour sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g." I lunged for her to place my hand over my mouth but she giggled and slipped to the floor before sprinting out of the room.

"You can run Jess but you can't hide I know where you live." I move to chase after her but I'm stopped by the buzzing in my jeans. Pulling my phone out I grin at the name that flashes across the screen.

"Hey Nate what's up?" I listen to Nate moan about his maths assignment as he segues into begging for my help.

"Come on Kota, you're an actual maths genius, help a brother out." I laugh.

"Okay Nate you are right I am a maths genius but I cannot even deal with the cultural appropriation that's happening you are not a brother." It was Nates turn to laugh.

"Dude, I lay my soul on the line for you and confess my feelings about how we are so close we might as well be brothers and you reject me. This is what I get for putting my heart on the line for you." He sighed into the phone. I roll my eyes. Even though he can't see me it makes me feel better.

"Yes, Nate you're my brother and I will help you out. I can swing by the centre a bit later, the new neighbours just moved in."

"New neighbours hey... so cute girls?" I sigh.

"Yes to girls, unsure about cute I haven't had the chance to do any recon. I'm gonna head downstairs and see if I can convince mom to part with some cookies for them and go introduce myself."

"Ooooh Erica's cookies are the best." Nate sighed again, "Let me know if they're cute but also dibs if they are. And I will see you later tonight, shoot me a text when you're on your way."

"Deal and I'll ask mom to spare a few cookies for you too." I put my phone back in my pocket and head down the stairs to see if Jess is still singing.

Sang

When I heard the moving van rumbling down the drive I made my move from the garage. We had arrived around lunch time and I my internal clock told me it was almost 5 I needed to get inside to start preparing dinner. My head was full trying to determine what I could make from the canned goods that had travelled with us and how stupid I was for not taking the time to unpack the kitchen. Being seen might have been less painful than being late with dinner. The fridge was installed and running which was good but that was the only thing that had been organised in the kitchen. My handwriting stares up at me from the tops of the boxes, the word kitchen printed in big black permanent letters. I begin pulling items out to redistribute into cupboards when there is a knock on the door. I freeze. I was in the kitchen which was at the back of the house and it had definitely been a knock on the front door, was I far enough away she wouldn't accuse me of causing this? My breathing shallows and I can feel my chest squeeze tight. List three things I can see, three things I can feel, and three I can smell. I see the white laminate bench tops, and brown packing boxes, the floorboards in the kitchen are wood, they're red and clean. I can smell lemon cleaner, and the papery smell of the cardboard and a hint of old beeswax polish. I can feel my shirt the fabric soft between my fingers. I reach out and feel how smooth the bench is no bumps or lines. I bite my lip, I can feel pain. This is how I ground myself.

There's another knock at the door. And another. Now I can hear voices. God how does someone forget how to breathe? Why is nothing coming in? My heart is tearing through my chest. I feel like I'm silently dying. I hear footsteps above and I drop to my knees, eyes glued to the floor. I am not a part of this. I don't know who is at the door. I would never invite anyone. I am not interested or interesting. I am nothing and no one. Please don't look at me, please. I silently beg.

"Who is it?" Marie's voice is gravelly like she had been asleep and the noise had woken her. I feel a breath shudder through my lungs. Its not her or him at the door, its just Marie.

"Hey, we're your neighbours we just wanted to drop off some cookies my mom baked for you guys to welcome you to the neighbourhood." Oh god. The deep voice. It's a man. I will definitely get the blame. The panic starts to claw its way up my throat again. Wait he said mom, maybe a teenager. Is that better or worse? Oh god I don't want her to think I know about this please make him go away. I close my eyes and clench my jaw so hard my teeth ache.

"Mom makes the best cookies she baked them fresh when we saw the van, do you have a little sister I can play with?" A younger female voice, little girl, still sounds high pitch enough that I doubt she's a teen. Why did she have to ask about me?

"Um, no I don't have a sister you can play with. Sorry, my parents are upstairs unpacking, and they don't like visitors so thanks of the cookies but please keep them. I guess we will see you round." Marie was rude, that was rude. Not ladylike. Marie was not ladylike, I was ladylike I stayed in the kitchen. Please don't ask about me again. Please don't knock the door is closed. Please don't come back. I dig my nails into my thighs I need the pain to centre me.

I'm still on the floor with my eyes screwed shut when Marie enters.

"What are you doing on the ground?" I open my eyes.

"I... ahhh, I ummm" my voice is raspy and I'm gasping as I try to calm my heart. "I dropped a thing..." I trail off. She looks down at me like I'm something disgusting she's just stepped in.

"Such a goddamned freak. Get off the floor or I'll tell her you've been breaking things." I rise as quickly as I can steadying myself on the bench. Not a full panic attack but my chest still aches, my legs and arms are shaky and unsteady.

"Aren't you supposed to be cooking tea? Honestly, I have no idea why they keep you, you cant do anything right." I nod at her and internalise that comment. I don't know why they keep me either.