Chapter Sixteen

Sean
As Gabe and Vic dragged themselves inside to shower I made my way over to Marc.
“Hey, you on shift today as well?” Marc shook his head. “Nah, Corey is coming in to take over but not until 12ish. That is if he remembers. Dudes a space case.” I laughed; Corey was the only one of us who routinely showed up late for well everything. He got caught up in video games or hacking and then two days later shows up apologising for forgetting. He was arguably the smartest of all of us and I had graduated high school at 15, finished my bachelor’s degree by 17, sat the MCAT at 18 and was in the process of finishing my first year of medical school.  If I kept it up, I would be interning by 21. Corey made me look slow. He picked up everything with ease, but he loved computers. The only problem was he got so caught up following where his brain wanted him to go that he forgot about real life.    
“So, carried her through the door? Saving her from the big bad Gabriel and Victor? Sean the ladies man is now reformed into a white knight saving damsels in distress?” I rolled my eyes at Marc’s over the top character assessment. “She needs help, I can help, that’s as far as it goes.” Marc raised his brows. “Really? And you aren’t at all taken in by the tiny frame and pretty face?” I felt a blush spread up my face. “Ahhhh my little Sean all grown up.” he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in for a noogie. I pushed his arms away and gave him a playful shove. “Shut up, you’re only four years older than me. Besides I’m guessing you still haven’t told your precious Bambi about the terrible poetry you used to write about her. ‘ice blue eyes I’d like to drown in and soft full mounds I’d like to plo…’” He cut me off with a hand stuffed over my mouth.
“You were shown that in confidence, please do not repeat it ever again, also if Kaylee were to find that out, she would legit murder me so no she doesn’t know about it.” He was trying to look serious, but his lips kept quirking up into a smile. I licked his hand, he pulled it away with a very unmanly squeal.
“I won’t say anything if you don’t, deal?” he shook my offered hand. “Deal. Well prince charming you better head inside and make sure your princess fair is safe from the rabble. I’m heading back to the front desk, let me know if you need anything.” Marc picked up his thermos and waved as he left the porch. I went inside and headed to the kitchen to snag some more bacon before the boys came down to steal it all. Half the house had been sat on the porch watching Vic and Gabe complete their hour. But now the entertainment was over I wouldn’t put it past them to swoop back through the kitchen and finish off the rest of the food. I pulled out a couple of rashes of bacon as I headed through the kitchen to the dining room. Nathan and Sang were sitting at the table. They had empty plates in front of them Nathan was telling her about life here in Dr Roberts home. She was asking about punishments when I walked in.
“But if I break the rules, what happens then? How are we punished?” Her voice was still raspy, I figured it was strain from her injury and emotional upset, but it may be something more. She has said it didn’t hurt more than usual, maybe she had a history of tonsilitis or pharyngitis. I would have to get Dr Roberts to do some further investigations.
“Pookie if you break the rules there are no punishments, the only thing that earns punishments are aggression and violence, and the punishment is that one of the supervisors brings you out to the lawn and you work out until you’re too tired to fight. Then Dr Roberts books you into Lily, the child psychologist for a tune up.” I sat across the table from them. Sang’s head had whipped round to look at me initially, but she had relaxed back when she realised there was no threat. Nate was nodding along.
“Lily is super cool. She always finds what’s bothering you and gives great advice. Dr Roberts understands when we mess up too because hello, still teenagers, we are growing and learning. I mean most of us were complete messes when we first arrived but now, we are mostly well-adjusted members of society.” He shot Sang the largest grin I had seen from him in a while. He more than anyone had benefitted from visits with Lily. Dr Roberts had chosen Lily due to her background of personal trauma. There was nothing from out backgrounds that shocked or scared her. She was the calmest woman I knew, and a consummate professional. No matter how angry you got in a session she always respondent with unconditional acceptance. She was the type of healer I aspired to be.
“So, the boys from this morning had to work out, and have to see Lily? Will they be mad at me?” Sang was so quiet when she asked, like we would be disappointed in her. Her hand went to her face and her index finger pressed against her teeth. She used pressure a lot when she was anxious, I noticed it last night. Nathan was quick to reassure her.
“Of course, not Sang, they know it was their own fault, besides Lily and the workouts aren’t real punishments they aren’t something to be mad about. They help ground us. Bring us back to where we need to be, plus it makes us stronger and fitter. Seeing Lily is like an exercise of the mind too, she helps us build up our mental health makes us more resilient.” I was proud of Nathan he had come so far from the angry 7-year-old he used to be and while I knew he still struggled with it Dr Roberts and Lily had given him plenty of skills to cope in a healthier way. I never regretted coming to live here, and I didn’t regret helping others to find their way here either. I heard the boys before they appeared in the dining room.         
“Honestly when Sean said two-minute plank, I could have fucking killed him.” Gabriel’s deep voice echoed especially when he was excited or pissed. Victor laughed the next part was muffled as Gabe had obviously shoved some of the food into his mouth.
“I don’t know how you can eat right now; I’m making some toast.” Victors clearly disgusted voice rang through. “You’re just jealous Vic because you puked, I on the other hand have a stomach of steel.” Gabe strode into the kitchen plate piled high, balancing it on one hand a large cup of coffee in the other.  He picked the seat next to me. He elbowed me as he sat down.
“You know Sean, I never had you pegged for a sadist, Owen maybe but never you. This morning was a fucking bootcamp from hell. I don’t think Owen ever inflicted that much pain on us.” He started spearing his bacon with his fork.
“Was it painful?” Sang’s question dripped with concern. Gabe choked on a piece of bacon he had crammed into his mouth. Victor answered for him.
“Not painful, my muscles are sore, but the shower helped, and breakfast will help. I didn’t really get a chance to apologise properly, I am really, really, sorry, I should never had jumped on the bed. Were you injured?” she shook her head.
“No fine.” She whispered it. She was looking at the table. Her body language changed drastically from when it was just Nathan and I. Nathan shot me a concerned glance. I shook my head slightly she needed trust to be comfortable and the only way to trust them was to get to know them.
“So Sang I said we would take you shopping this afternoon to grab somethings you might need for the next few days until we can get in contact with your social worker. We can do it one of two ways, you can make a list of things you want and one of supervisors, myself, or Kaylee can take you down to pick it up, or you can make a list of things and head down with some of the others when they go in town.” I could see the panic rising in her eyes.
“Oh it’s okay, I um have clothes and stuff in my bag, and Nathan said about the spare clothes in the drawers being for use while I stay, its for the short term kids, and um that’s what I am I think. I don’t need you to be put out worrying about me.” She was bright red, and her hand was back at her mouth. She had somehow managed to shrink back in her seat.
“If you’re sure, but its no trouble to get you some more things, there’s money to do that, the state provides it to Dr Roberts. There are accounts at several of the stores for him to use. You could pick out some shorts or skirts so you can retire the scrub pants not that they aren’t a great look Pookie, its just about making you more comfortable.” She was nodding her head, but her body language was telling me there was no way in hell she was accepting this offer. I wondered if I could get Lily to schedule a quick house call.
“Is the cast why your hair looks like that?” Gabe had the tact level of a bull at a gate. Her hand snaked nervously up to her hair.
“Um it got wet last night in the rain and there was wind, and I slept in my rain jacket, but I was worried about the cast getting wet, I couldn’t go in the shower and I couldn’t untangle it I know it’s not appropriate, I should, um I should go back upstairs. Excuse me.” She rose from the table, and we all stood with her, southern manners. The sudden movement startled her; she dropped her plate. It shattered on the wooden floor.  She dropped straight to her knees and began picking up the little pieces. I crossed the room and knelt next to her.
“Sang, it’s okay I can clean this up. You head upstairs, okay?” She nodded her hands clenched around a broken piece of plate. I slowly opened her fingers and took it from her before she could hurt herself with it. She stood slowly and limped from the room. I gathered up the small pieces the boys sat back at the table and silently finished their breakfasts.