Chapter Seventeen

Sang

I broke a plate. I was such an idiot. Why was Sean so nice to me? I didn't deserve him being nice, I needed to apologise, I ruin everything. I limped back towards the stairs. I was picking at my hair again. I should never have come downstairs in such a state, it wasn't ladylike. There was a dark-haired girl leaning against the wall. She was tall and thin, with cruel green eyes. her midriff top showcased a belly bar, and her skirt was so short I was worried what would happen if she bent over.

"Look what the cat dragged in, another loser." Her voice was sharp and nasal. She made a show of looking me up and down. "A broken loser." I knew she was talking about my cast, but I felt the word broken echoing around me. The sound of a plate breaking, a mirror shattering, a chair splintering against a wall, the sound of feet and fists colliding with my skin. All the ways to break echoing in my head.

"Jade stop being such a bitch. Literally no one wants to hear your shitty opinions." Another female voice, this one from behind me. I turned slightly annoyed I hadn't heard their approach. Another teenage girl. This one shorter than Jade but taller than me. She had bright artificial red hair in a short pixie cut and over lined eyes. She was wearing ripped jeans, combat boots and a long sleeve shirt.

"Ugh what a shocker wannabe goth Karen sticking up for the broken drowned rat, how romantic. God if this house gets anymore losers we are going to have to fumigate. Or stage an intervention." I tried to limp forward towards the stairs, but Jade took a step towards me. I stopped immediately; I had the overwhelming urge to drop to my knees.

"Jade knock it the fuck off before I get Marc. You know you're on your last warning here, do you want to be the reason why Jay gets kicked out?" Karen had taken a step closer to me with her hand outstretched like she was reaching for me. Jade was scowling at her.

"Please I just want to go back upstairs to the room." I was a hair away from begging. I just wanted to be alone. Jade laughed a hollow sound "A broken and pathetic loser, but since you asked so nicely I'll move but you better stay the fuck out of my way, this is my house and don't you forget." She stalked off her shoes clacking on the floor.

The red-haired girl made a move to follow her when I spoke.

"Thank you for helping me." she turned to face me and shot me a quick smile. "Not a problem. I'm Karen." "I'm Sang." She nodded at my introduction and turned to follow Jade down the corridor. I limped up the stairs and back to the safety of the room.

Gabriel

I was a dick; I should never have mentioned her hair. It freaked her out. I watched her panic and smash that plate, the fear on her face was the same as it had been when Vic had been on the bed with her. Sean was picking up the pieces, but I felt like it should have been me. I'm such a fuck up. I literally fuck everything up. I was going to offer to help her with her hair but as per fucking usual I put my foot in my mouth. I ate the rest of my breakfast, but it tasted like ashes. Nathan sat at the table with us until I finished. Victor had nibbled on his dry toast, but he hadn't finished it off.

Sean hadn't returned after taking out the shards of plate. I was spiralling a little bit. I wanted this girl to like me. I wanted her to forgive me for this morning and for my hair comment. I wanted to not be shit at all this. She had seemed happy with Sean and Nathan when we came in, but as per usual my presence fucked things up for everyone because I speak without fucking thinking. I pushed my chair back from the table cringing at the squeal of wooden legs on wooden floors. I stormed into the kitchen and aggressively washed my plate in the sink spraying water all over the bench and my shirt. I was frustrated with myself, and it wasn't a new feeling. I was sick of myself. This thing with Vic was my fault I had needled at him and pushed him too far. I was always pushing people too far. Fuck. I wanted to make amends, but I didn't know her well enough.