Chapter Twenty-Seven

Luke

By the time North had showered for like the tenth time today and brushed his teeth and made gross sandwiches, and carrot sticks, and ughhhhhh celery for a packed lunch I was chomping at the bit to leave. Gabe and Nate still hadn't told me what happened the night before and I needed to know. Uncle finished loading the truck and I climbed into Norths Jeep.

"Shotgun. Come on North lets go... its forever to pick up Silas and then forever to get to Nate and Gabe." I wound the window down and hung my arm out slapping the door.

"Let's get these horses going." North threw his hands in the air.

"Luke stop hitting my fucking car." "Well hurry up then and I wouldn't have to." Uncle pulled his truck up next to the jeep.

"I'll see you boys at the site try not to kill each other." North nodded climbing behind the wheel. I was bouncing up and down practically vibrating with excitement.

"Luke seatbelt, you know the rules, I don't start the car until its on."

"Aghghghhghghgh" I screamed at him and began pulling the belt towards me. It jerked to a stop, so I tugged harder.

"Stupid locking belt thing." North rolled his eyes leaning across me to release the belt and then slowly pulled it across my body.

"This is every time you get in the car, pull it slowly." I couldn't help myself "You pull it slowly." "Seriously Luke. Stop." "Okay okay calm." North started the ignition and the speakers blared loud enough to vibrate the doors. His hand shot across to the volume control and killed it.

"What the fuck. Luke did you do this?" I put my hand on my chin like I was thinking.

"I may have turned that knob thinking it was for something else sorry." North's hand tightened on the wheel, his hands so tight the leather squeaked. His jaw was tight and I could hear his teeth grinding together, this time I might have gone too far.

"I'm sorry I promise I won't do anything else today okay? I promise I know its important." North exhaled slowly and nodded. "Okay" He drove out the driveway. I leaned out the window restricted by the stupid belt but so excited to be off on an adventure.

Silas

I was waiting for North and reading through the mountains of messages that Nathan had been sending. There were some messages from North warning he may be in a mood when he arrived. He mentioned the group chat was partially responsible for that. I read English a lot slower than I spoke it. So many words looked the same but sounded different, wind, wind, read, read, wound, wound. Also, Nathan was using lots of idioms and short words I struggled with these I didn't know if the words were wrong, or I just didn't get the reference. By the time North pulled up I thought I was updated on this girl enough to tell she had been in a rough situation. Nathan had to be exaggerating some of these events, it sounded like something out of a movie, and not a very believable one. Luke was hanging out the window calling out to the car park.

"Silas, Silas wherefore art thou Silas?" North smacked him across the back of the head and pulled him back into the car.

"That doesn't mean what you think it does Luke. It means why are you Silas, did you not pay attention in class... what am I saying of course you didn't pay attention." North looked ready to snap.

"είσαι καλά?" I asked him mentally preparing what to say and do if he wasn't.

*Are you okay*

"είμαι εντάξει. ο Λουκ με τρελαίνει." I nodded a rough morning then.

*I'm okay. Luke drives me crazy*