Chapter Twenty-Four

Owen

Victor had redlined me. An emergency I sent a message replying I would be there ASAP. I practically sprinted down the hall and slammed my feet into my shoes. I grabbed Sean's keys as his car was the last one in the driveway and pushed the speed limit the whole way to the group home. I wondered if this red line was related to Sean's earlier mood. I prayed that none of the boys were seriously injured but rationalised they would have redlined Dr Roberts or Sean. Shit what if Sean was being redlined and I had taken his car. God. My keys were on the hook it was okay he would be able to get here. My brain fought to process all the potential situations I could be walking into. Redline meant emergency, the last redline had been Kayli's father beating Will half to death in a drunken rage. I was scared what was happening at the care house. When I pulled up, I saw Kayli's car in the drive. Could it be her father here again? Brandon's bike squealed into the drive behind Sean's car almost hitting the back end. Both Corey and Brandon threw off their helmets in tandem and were up the stairs just seconds before me. Raven was pacing across the foyer knife in hand. The alarm at the desk hadn't been sounded so we weren't on lock down, but I was desperate to know what the threat was. I started as a sudden movement burst into my line of vision. Kayli was putting herself between Brandon and Raven. Her big blue eyes reminded me why Marc insisted on calling her Bambi, her pupils huge as she grabbed onto his arm.

"Corey, I need you to explain to him. He keeps calling her a ghost he's convinced she's here to kill him." Apparently, I had the wrong twin. How she never mixed them up I would never know.

"Raven, what happened? Explain it to me." Raven stalked across to Corey and Kayli, Brandon had now put himself between Raven and the stairs. I was feeling ridiculously out of the loop. My anxiety was spiking. Where was the threat? Who was trying to kill Raven?

"The ghost, she stepped wrong, she tried to sneak on me, убийца.... The word... it is Assassinor?." "Assassin" I supplied trying to piece together his broken English. Raven nodded at me.

"Assassin, the ghost is assassin, she held down мой панк, to hurt him. I will not allow. She needs to be stopped. you need to leave, be safe from her."

мой панк was what Raven called Gabe, my punk. Someone had threatened Gabe. мое солнышко... My sunshine... Corey that's what he calls Corey. He was warning Corey away from her. Having to translate Raven's Russian pet names was adding to my anxiety, I felt it building inside of me. I needed to see Gabe I needed to see he was safe.

"Raven, I can guarantee she wasn't. Sang is not a threat. Sang is not a ghost. I told you this morning. she makes no sound, I warned you she was quiet. I told you to be aware. Kayli I made a point of explaining it to you, I told you if Raven stayed here with you today you had to be careful. Sang makes no noise. She isn't an assassin she wasn't trying to sneak up on you. Did she try to hurt you?" Corey was almost frantic.

"Did not get chance." Raven growled brandishing his knife.

"Raven if you hurt her..." I had never seen Corey mad. His voice was low and menacing. Brandon stepped towards his twin. The two of them towering over us all. I never thought about Corey's height he was not someone I thought could be menacing. At Six foot five he has three inches on Raven and five on me. He seemed to suck all the air from the room his blue eyes sharp and deadly. Brandon mirrored him. Raven paused.

"мое солнышко you are angered?" Corey growled at the Raven's question. Even Brandon looked unsure, his eyebrows raising at his brother's anger.

"She is a child, with a broken leg, she needs help. I warned you Raven, I told you she was quiet, that she could sneak up on you. You threatened a child in our care because she scared you. You will apologise to her. You will make this right. If she leaves because of this Raven, I will not be happy." I was uncomfortable being privy to this fight. Corey was not someone I expected to behave this way, but it had been enough to give Raven pause. Raven stepped into Corey. Wrapping his arms around his chest.