Chapter Twenty-Five

Sang

Owen has sent Gabriel and I upstairs which I appreciated but I was still really nervous about my role in everything that had happened. Just being here had caused a huge issue for Dr Roberts, and Sean, and Owen, and Gabe, and Nate, and Victor, and Corey, and Marc, and even Raven. There didn't seem to be anyone who wasn't affected negatively by my being here. Gabe held my hand the whole way walking slowly so I could adjust my footing and stop my leg from throbbing. He walked me to his room, the TV was still playing the show we had been watching. Now that all the adrenaline was gone, I was feeling awkward and unsure how to be around him in his space.

"I'm going to duck to the bathroom do you need anything?" I had a feeling he was trying to give me space to work out how to be here. I shook my head. He disappeared into his ensuite and I limped across to the bean bags. I slowly lowered myself into the one I had shared with Gabe before. The beans helped support my leg but it was hard to manoeuvre once I was in there. When Gabe returned, I was in a semi comfortable position. He sank into the bean bag next to me, the lack of cast meaning he was free to wiggle into a comfortable position. Neither of us spoke just slowly became used to being alone together. I was thinking about the Tylenol in my room and how much effort it would be to roll out of the bean bag to get it, when it crossed my mind that I hadn't made it to breakfast, and I had definitely missed lunch, I was suddenly very hungry.

"Gabe what time is it?" he looked up from him phone. "Um hang on... like 5.30, so not too late why?"

"Oh I um... I was just thinking I needed to take some more Tylenol, and have something to eat, I didn't um... I slept through breakfast and lunch." I felt my cheeks burning. I shouldn't have brought it up I should have waited until he went down to dinner and joined him.

"Well, I'll go grab your Tylenol, and we can head downstairs in a bit I think. Owen is just sorting out who has hours. Usually, Raven or Kayli would cook but tonight's been a bit messy it's a shame North isn't here he would just make something."

"I can cook." The words left my mouth before I fully realised what I was committing too. "I mean um at home I do the cooking I can make something I think." Gabe grinned. "what's your specialty dish? You're favourite thing to cook?" No one has asked me what I liked cooking before.

"Um... probably Cowboy stew." Gabe wrinkled his nose slightly. "I know stew doesn't sound good, but I promise its yummy." I started out strong, but my voice dropped towards the end. Gabe's eyes widened and he flushed.

"I'm sure it is Sang, if we have the stuff, you need you can teach me how to make it okay?" I nodded. I knew he was pitying me I was so pathetic. I resolved myself to the fact that even if he hated it he would pretend so I wouldn't feel bad. It was almost worst than if he just said he didn't want me to cook for them.

Gabriel left to get my Tylenol pausing at the door before leaving. I pretended not to see busying myself by moving my leg in the bean bag. The show was still on, so I focused my attention on that. I was an episode I had seen before. This show was often on at home especially late at night. I pretended like I was engaged in it when Gabriel returned. He handed me a fresh bottle of water and the blister pack of pills. I quietly thanked him popping open two and swallowing them with a large gulp of water. I was really thirsty, so I was glad for the bottle. Once again, I had forgotten to drink in this new routine. Gabe hovered at the back of my bean bag, and I returned my focus to the screen. I knew it was awkward but I didn't want to reach out and be rejected. Or for him to talk to me out of pity. A knock on the door broke the silence, and for once I was grateful for the slight startling feeling this I knew.

"Sang and Gabriel the kitchen is now free if you would like to prepare dinner." Owen was standing in the doorway, shirt sleeves rolled up but otherwise still looking like a banker. I tried to lift myself out of the bean bag but found there was no graceful way for me to stand up. I didn't have enough leverage to roll myself out with the cast either. I felt the flush rising up my neck, my face burning with embarrassment. I was going to have to ask for help. I lifted my head, and the Gabe was there, hand extended, wry smile.