Chapter Thirty-Three

Erica

When Dakota had told me that Sam had bought the church I was sure it was going to be a money pit. Sam had grand ideas and get rich quick plans but the garage he owned in town was where he was most settled. Honestly buying the church to turn into diner sounded more like something his sister would have done. I wondered if this was Sam's way of trying to connect to her. Losing her as a teen was hard, then his brother left him with Luke and later abandoned North. I knew it changed something in him. The condition North was in when he was brought to America was horrendous. 

Sam had doubled down and embraced his nephews and then extended his family to all of Luke's friends including myself and Jessica and Dakota's family. He had offered to foster both Nathan and Victor when they went into care. He has helped me when Jessica and Dakota were removed following their father's episode. When North arrived, he opened his arms to Charlie, Theo and Silas and made sure that North's family had a place and that there was unconditional love for all who needed it. Now he was extending his family out trying to reach the community. Dakota has told me that he had been offered work as had all the boys at the Academy. I just hoped that this would be something that worked. 

I roused Jessica from an afternoon nap on the couch and made sure she was in clothes that could get dirty. We carried out the large thermos' of Tomato soup and a cooler bag full of pre-toasted cheese sandwiches. I had wrapped them in foil and grabbed a press grill. I would heat them back up provided there was power at the site. I wish I had have checked with Dakota about this. Once Jessica and I had the car fully loaded with paper cups, plates, napkins and enough food to feed an army I messaged Dakota to let him know we were on our way. As we were reversing down the drive Max came running from the back yard through the side gate. I slammed the brakes on to avoid hitting into him.

"Jessica honestly I thought I asked you to make sure Max was inside?" Jessica blushed.

"Oh um... sorry I forgot." Jessica blushed and she threw the door open. Max was inside like a shot. He was all over Jessica's lap dog hair and drool coating the entirety of the passenger side of my car.

"Max out!" I gave my best firm don't mess with me voice. Max just started whining and licking Jessica.

"Mom you know he only listens to Kota." I shot my daughter a withering glare.

"He does not only listen to Dakota he is just spoilt by you. Max out now!" Max continued to whine and he jumped out the passenger side and onto the drive.

"See Jessica?" Jessica hopped out after him and began calling him to follow her to the door. Max placed his head on the passenger seat and stared up at me. His big brown eyes looked so sad at the thought of being left behind.

"Jessica, get in the car, Max can come with us." Jessica bounced back to the car she opened the rear passenger door and called for Max to hop in. He jumped into the back seat tail wagging and yipping playfully.

"Yeah, Yeah. Come on the boys are expecting us."

***

When we pulled up in the church parking lot it was clear that a lot of work had been done. There were dumpsters full of timber and carpet pieces to the side of the door. Various building items were strewn around. The entrance has a couple of hard hats and safety boots set out. I wondered if Owen had left them for us, that boy was always trying to find control through planning and preparation. I made Jessica trade her sneakers for a pair of boots and quickly put two plaits in her hair to make sure the hard hat sat where it was supposed to. Then I organised myself.

"Come on lets see where Sam wants us to set up."

Max and Jessica led the way through what would have been the nave of the church with the removal of the pews and wooden dividers the space looked massive. I began to think that maybe this could work.