Chapter Twelve

Sang

I had a lateral malleolus fracture, but Sean, Mr Green, said that it wasn't displaced so I just needed a cast to stabilise it and to stay off it for a few days. Easier said than done. A nurse came into Dr Roberts office with a tray of tools and some coloured bandages.

"Now Miss Sorenson you're going to be in this cast for 6 – 8 weeks so please pick your colour carefully."

"Pink." The word popped unbidden from my mouth before I could stop it. "Pink please Dr Roberts." I corrected myself in a softer voice. There was something about him that made me forget how to behave correctly. I was too relaxed in his presence, and it worried me what else would spill out if he asked.

"Unfortunately, we are going to have to cut your jeans off. You likely don't have any spare shorts with you but once the plaster is dry, I'll give you a pair of oversized scrub pants to change into. Luckily, it's summer and you'll be spending most of your time in shorts and skirts hey." I forced a smile on my lips. Skirts I had yes, but no shorts and I doubt She's going to be happy with seeing my cast every day. Maybe I could ask for some shorts but long basketball style ones like the gym uniform. Ultimately, I didn't matter because there was no way I could stay off it for a few days I couldn't go home right now, coming home with a cast on is likely to set Her off especially when she realises I won't be able to do all my chores. That empty gnawing feeling was growing in my chest. My breathing was speeding up as my mind turned around all the problems I was facing. Dr Roberts hands were resting on the footplate of the chair as he watched me. Had he asked me a question?

"Sorry, what did you say?" I tried to shake off the feeling, I could worry about that tomorrow if she didn't let me back inside.

"I asked if you were ready for me to start? Sean could you please go grab some scrub pants from the laundry for me?" Mr Green, Sean, nodded and flashed a quick grin as he left the room.

"Miss Sorenson, I'm going to ask you a question, and please answer me truthfully. Do you have anywhere to go tonight? Some where safe and warm and dry?" the question felt like a punch to the stomach, all the air disappeared from my lungs, my eyes started to water, and I bit my lip to prevent the tears from falling. I shook my head. Dr Roberts placed his hand on my knee.

"Its not as bad as all that Miss Sorenson. Tonight, I'll get Sean to take you to the group house. There are carers that man the office while I'm on shift but its usually just me and former foster children who've aged out that run it. I have a few spare rooms and there are spare clothes available. Tomorrow we can go out and get you anything you'll need for the next couple of days. It will give CPS a chance to assign you a case worker and to sort out what's happening with your family. It will also give you a few days to recover. What do you say?" I began to sob. I couldn't understand why he was being so nice to me. Why would he help me? I wasn't special, I was no one.

"Is that a yes or a no Miss Sorenson?" Dr Roberts smiled at me while awaiting my reply. Choice. I couldn't make decisions I was stupid I always picked wrong; I began to feel panic clawing its way up my chest. I clenched my hands feeling my nails line up with the half moon cuts on my palm. Pain, ground yourself. He was still looking at me. Waiting for me. I nodded then closed my eyes. I didn't want to disappoint him he was being so nice. I wanted him to like me, I didn't want to be stupid or wrong. Be polite, be ladylike, manners. He is offering you a place to stay manners, use your manners you're such an idiot a nod isn't manners its rude, you speak when spoken to, you were asked a question, useless, can't even answer a question properly. When I opened my eyes, everything was dull.

"Thank you for the kind offer Dr Roberts, I would like to stay tonight until my parents are contactable, if that's convenient for you." My voice was flat emotionless. I wiped the tears off my face and placed my hands in my lap. Bowing my head. Waiting. Mr Green came back in with a pair of green pants. Dr Roberts stood up from where he was crouched next to the wheelchair and smiled brightly at me.