Chapter Thirty-Five

Sang

Despite my earlier fear on the drive home I had fallen asleep in the front seat of the car. Poor Victor had been squished in the back between Gabriel and Nate. Despite the fact I was starting to get used to their presence I could not bring myself to be that close to them, to be touching them with no ability to leave. They didn't want things from me, they moved slowly around me carefully, and I felt the burn of shame when I rejected Gabriel's request to sit next to him and the door. Brandon had been understanding and had shut the conversation down the minute I moved toward the front seat. The boys had crammed themselves into the back seat and there was another moment of overwhelming shame, but they began to talk and tease each other and slowly it receded. The warmth from the heater, the movement of the car, the long day, and the fact Sean had given me something a little stronger than Tylenol that he had promised wasn't a pain killer had my eyes growing heavy. The car wasn't moving anymore when Gabriel had gently shaken me awake. I opened my eyes to his blue ones staring seemingly into my soul. I pulled back slightly.

"Trouble we're here, come one we need to grab you something to eat and put you to bed." He was whispering softly as though he was trying not to scare me. I stretched languidly my shirt briefly riding up over my stomach. Gabe's fingers reached out to pull down my shirt, his fingers brushed my side and the bruise hidden beneath. I winced involuntarily Gabe seeing the reaction before I could catch it.

"Are you okay?" the whisper now a low voice full of concern. I cleared my throat.

"It's fine Gabriel, just a bruise from where I fell earlier." My voice was raspy with sleep. I cleared it again. Gabe slid out of the car and held his hand out to help me out of the car. I was slow going sliding along with the cast. Once I started moving my hip was aching a combination of how I had sat, the earlier fall and having to constantly adjust to the heavy cast on that side. Gabe saw how stiff and slowly I was moving.

"Trouble come here." He leaned over and scooped me up his one arm going under my butt and the other around my back. He lifted me bridal style.

"Gabriel! I can walk" I tried to shriek but my voice cut out as I raised it.

"Sorry Trouble it was painful to watch. I'll put you down at the top of the stairs." I knew I was stiff in his arms, I wanted to trust Gabriel but I didn't know what to do, how to be comfortable with this.

"I'm heavy put me down." I continued. Gabe scoffed.

"Give me some credit Trouble I'm not jacked but you are very easy to carry, you're so tiny." He easily made it to the top of the stairs with me in his arms, slowly lowering me back to my feet.

"Are you okay?" he questioned as I adjusted to the floor. I smiled up at him.

"I'm fine." He held the door open for me and I slowly limped inside. His hand moving to the small of my back as he closed the door behind him. As we made it into the foyer there was a group of people standing in the doorway and near the counter.

"Nate did you get started on the sandwiches? Trouble is asleep on her feet we need her fed and in bed." Gabriel called from behind me his voice carrying through the foyer and seemed to echo around the space. Everyone in the foyer turned. And I saw him.

"What the hell have you done to my daughter?" he roared. I stopped breathing. He couldn't be here. Gabriel's hand on my back burned. He had warned me. There was a boy touching me he had warned me. I could feel the blood draining from my face and the world started to grow small and fuzzy. I felt myself sway. Gabriel's hands immediately went to shoulders holding me up.

"GET YOUR FUCKING HANDS OFF HER" Despite Gabriel's hands. I dropped forward onto the floor kneeling in front of him. My head down. The urge to curl in on myself was so strong.