chapter 24

They pulled onto the lakeshore just as the sun kissed the water

They pulled onto the lakeshore just as the sun kissed the water.  A bottle of wine in one hand and his hand tightly clasped in hers, she tugged him toward a landing.

They found seats and opened the wine and shared the bottle as they watched the glorious colors fill the sky. 

They talked and shared stories and she rested her head on his shoulder until the stars twinkled above them.  Then they laid back on the dock and tried to count the stars as they finished the wine and started a second bottle he had fetched at some point.

The night soon grew too chill for even the alcohol buzz to warm them and he noticed her shiver. 

“Is your cabin near here?” he asked, then followed her finger as she pointed to the large house at the top of the steps to the dock.

“Yep,” she giggled.

“Shit Olivia, that is no little cabin!” he said as they headed that way.

“ You don’t like it?” she asked as she took his hand and led him up the stairs.

Their voices and laughter echoed over the still water as they made their way to the house.
Liv keyed the code and slipped inside.  She turned on only the accent lights and grabbed blankets for the couch.

Hobi sat down, surprised at how tired, and how drunk he was.  He frowned.  That had certainly not been his intention.

Livi snuggled next to him and pulled a blanket over her bare legs.

“ Hobi…Hoseok…” she called, then not waiting for him to answer she giggled “ I'm drunk!”

“I know,” he said, “ me too.  We really should go to sleep.
She nodded and curled up next to him.

“Not here Liv, “ he said gently” I will stay here and you go to your room.”

She nodded and kissed him, missing his mouth the last minute as he moved from her. She smiled at him and left, stumbling to a room at the end of the hall, pointing out the bathroom for him as she went.

The next morning he jolted awake at the sound of a phone ringing and immediately regretted it. His head was pounding and his mouth was filled with cotton. 

He slowly opened his eyes and stared as they adjusted. It had been impossible to judge the house in the dark, but with the sunlight streaming in the 15 foot floor to ceiling windows it was evident it was a showcase.  He slowly sat up and looked around.

Before he could be overwhelmed Livi emerged from the hall and plopped down beside him.  She handed him a bottle of water and a hangover medicine.

She explained the plan for the day and pointed him in the direction of the closet with the swim clothes he could use. 

He found a drawer of swim trunks and tees in all sizes, all new with tags. By the time he was dressed he was amazed to find the vice in his head had eased.

Olivia was the perfect guide.  She took him to an outdoor Café for brunch and they sat in the dappled courtyard under swaying trees.

They met with her friends and took a huge pontoon out in the small lake. Hobi was worried about motion sickness, but a patch fixed that.

They passed the day fishing and listening to music.  It turned out Hobi knew several of the group already and he felt right at home with them.

Early afternoon they went in for a big lunch of fresh seafood and as the day's heat reached it's peak, he fought to keep his eyes open.

Hobi then learned the best secret- this time of day was reserved for going back to the house and napping. 

Livi came to lay next to Hobi on the wide couch, slinging her arm around his waist and burying her head in his chest.  Before he grew uncomfortable he noticed that she had already fallen asleep.  She felt so good in his arms.  He took a moment to ponder what was holding him back. 

He thought of Izzy's sweet face and then frowned. 

She was home spending the weekend with her high school sweetheart. Suddenly he could think of no reason to hold himself back from Olivia. 

He wrapped himself around her and pulled her closer.  He drifted to sleep holding her to his chest.
They slept soundly for hours, exhausted by day of sun and water. 

Despite the delicious lunch, he was awakened by a deep rumble in his stomach. 

He slowly remembered where he was and that Olivia was pressed against his body.  She had turned and her back was pressed to his chest.  He could feel every breath she took and damn she felt good.  He nuzzled his face in her hair and could feel her stirring awake.  She stretched and pulled his arm tighter around her waist.

“ This feels so good!” she confessed, “ I could stay here forever and forget about dinner!”

“ Dinner?” he asked and she sat up, laughing at his obvious enthusiasm.

“Yes, dinner.  Tonight is the river cruise Jazz festival.  It is really fun and they usually have fantastic food!” She moved away from him while explaining more.

“ There will be some things for you in my brother’s room.  It is fun and causal, no big deal for clothes.  I'm going to grab a shower down here.  Use anything of his you like in his bathroom.  He won’t know the difference,” she smiled and disappeared down the hall.

Hobi did just that, taking a nice long, hot shower and making use of the excellent products he found in the shower and in the drawers.  He took extra time with his hair, styling it in a side part and a sweep over his forehead. 

A pair of  tropical shorts caught his eye and he found the perfect powder blue linen shirt. Looking in the mirror he unbuttoned one more button and cuffed the long sleeves.  A couple of turns in the mirror and he was happy.

Downstairs he discovered a drink and snack tray on the table.  He helped himself. 

If he knew Olivia, she had left this as a peace offering after her shower, knowing she would take an eternity to get ready. 

He was right.  He ate his fill and sat back to scroll through his phone. 

There was no hurrying Livi!