chapter 48

The rest of the week tumbled by in a blur

The rest of the week tumbled by in a blur.  The days were long and the nights were spent tying up all the details that had to be finished.  They ate in groups in the workroom or conference room.  There was no opportunity for time alone or private dinners. 

In spite of that, they worked side by side, new intimacy growing in the shared tasks and things they created.  Izzy was happy and confident, emotions she realized had been sadly missing in her life the past five years.

Too soon it was Friday.  How strange that she usually madly chased Friday as the end to the drone of the workweek.

This time it could not have been more different.  This had been one of this most exhilarating and creative weeks she had ever had.  All of it she credited to Hobi.  He left her wanting more, anticipating the next day and what it would bring.  He had a habit of doing that to her.

She dressed with care.  She would welcome the production team today. 

She had planned a dinner at the loft with Sky’s help to welcome them and send off the design team.  It would be bittersweet and exciting. 
Her excitement dimmed as she thought of Olivia’s face when the team reported without Izzy on Monday. 

Izzy shrugged at her reflection.  She had explicitly told Olivia her plans.  She was a partner and a shareholder in this company.  She was entitled to make these sorts of decisions without Olivia’s input.

She stared at herself for a moment, barely noting the  perfect fit of the wide legged winter white pants or the tailored fit of the grey wool cropped jacket that was the original prototype for the Dandy project.

She refused to acknowledge that the pep talk had done little to still the riot of her nerves.

She hurried to gather her things.  She needed to get to the company.  She needed to see Hobi.  He was the boost of confidence she needed.

Hoseok dressed with his usual Friday flair.  This time the hum of happiness for the approaching weekend was missing.  He felt a creeping sense of dread even as he chided himself not to give in to those feelings.

He shook his head.  He dismissed the dark thoughts as anxiety over his packed schedule for the next month.

As he slid into his desk chair, he pulled his calendar closer to make another series of detailed notes.

He started by making final notations for the recital.

Just as he had predicted, his friends had been eager to donate funds for sets and costumes. 

His senior boy group would be thrilled to learn they had been entered into a competition in early fall. 

Even Hobi did not know yet that Jimin had taken care of all the costs for the team trip, or that Tae had chipped in for warm ups and had Lyra design them or that Jin had insisted on providing for their food and snacks while traveling.  It was going to be their surprise for him.