chapter 64

Dae quickly made her way over to Sky

Dae quickly made her way over to Sky.  She could see she was talking to someone in the shadows.  Dae held her breath until she reached the private alcove.

“Izabelle,” Dae whispered as the lights brightened and the buzz of celebration flowed around them.

The young woman turned at her name and Dae felt a mixture of relief and anxiety as she saw Izzy’s tear-stained face. 

If she was going to break Hobi’s heart again Dae wished she would just leave now.

She frowned, knowing she was being protective and that this was Hoseok’s call to make.  She waited to see what Izzy had to say.

“My plane was late,” she explained.  I tried to get here before it started…..I only missed the first couple of minutes,” Izzy said, reading Dae’s face, willing her to understand.

Dae nodded and smiled. “You made it, that is what is important,” she said.

“ I changed clothes in the airplane,” Izzy said, pointing to the rose pink silk dress that swirled to her knees.  The tiny buttons up the front and the puffed sleeves made it the perfect combination of sweet and sexy.  Her hair was down and her makeup natural.

“ I wanted to be beautiful for him but I really didn’t have time,” Izzy felt the tears prickle  

She was so exhausted.  It had been a whirlwind 24 hours and she knew she was rambling.

“I came straight from the airport,” she said, indicating the carryon bag at her feet. 

Dae frowned, thinking that meant her stay was going to be a short one.

“His dance….” Izzy choked back a sob. 

She had been gutted seeing Hoseok on that stage.  Memories of the past and regrets and fears of the future resonated in every step he made and she did not know how to process any of it.

“I need to see him,” she said. 

Dae arched a brow at her.  It was clearly  a request for permission.  Izzy was seeking Dae’s blessing, maybe even her reassurance that it was ok.  That he was ok, that he would at least talk to her.

Dae did not know if it was her place to give either. The one thing she did know was that Hobi cared for this girl and she was standing here after traveling half way around the world to get to him.

Dae looked hard in her face and recognized the determination and desire there.

“He is gone,” Dae said gently.  “He slipped away after the finale. I am not sure where he is now.”

“I know, “ Izzy confessed,” I watched him go.  I’m just trying to get myself together….I have to go to him,” she confessed to Dae and then Sky.

They both nodded and hugged her.  They had both been there, they could sense her need and both remembered the turmoil of emotions.

Neither knew her intentions, but they knew Hobi deserved her answer.

“I am sorry, I really don’t know where he went,” Dae repeated.

“I know where he will be,” Izzy said as she pulled on her coat.

She pushed her carryon behind a pillar so that it was hidden and squared her shoulders. 

She brushed the tears from her face and headed toward the elevators, leaving two hearts behind her sincerely praying for what she would do next.

Izzy knew Hobi would be at the studio.  She had slipped into her seat just as the youngest group began to dance. 

She picked out her little snaggle toothed friend right away.  She watched the dances, smiling at each group, hoping for a glimpse of their teacher, preparing herself to see him.

Once she caught the briefest hint of him in the wings watching and it knocked the breath right out of her. 

She knew then there was no way to prepare herself.  She gasped with the rest of the crowd when he appeared on stage. 

He was simply breathtaking in his command over the audience.
Izyy felt the tears come immediately. 

He was beautiful and his body was amazing in the way it moved with the music. 

It became the music. 

Each push and pull of the choreography tore at her heart.  His struggle was her struggle and as it ended it was clear there was no resolution.

In the end he and his audience, were left searching.

She sat shaking with raw emotion.   Sky had felt her reaction clearly and reached out to comfort her. 

Izzy watched him retake the stage in the finale and  saw the love he had from the kids and their parents.  It was obvious his group of young men adored him and his friends were scattered around the loft beaming like the family they were.  

Still he stepped back and withdrew, leaving the crowd and seeking the silence. He was alone and she hated the thought of it.

She had to go to him.

She grabbed a cab and gave the address to the studio.  It was not far, but she needed the time to collect herself and she did not want to take the chance of getting lost and screwing this up. 

She had already done that.

She soon stood in front of the studio door.  He was here.  She could see soft lights inside.  More than that, she knew him, knew he would take his solace here.

She stepped inside and caught her breath.  He sat with his back to the large mirror, head slumped on his knees, still and waiting.

She slipped off her shoes and dropped her coat and took the first tentative steps toward him.

His dark head slowly lifted and his eyes met hers.  They were dark with emotion she could not read.

There was no hint of a smile or happiness to see her.  Her heart pounded harder as she forced herself to move closer.

She had rarely, if ever, seen him so cold and closed.  This Hoseok scared her.

“I knew you would not forget,” he said softly, breaking the silence.

He did not move as she reached his side, keeping himself closed to her. 

She hesitated for a moment then sat next to him, facing him and the mirror, close enough to touch him.

Still, he seemed so far beyond her reach.