chapter 56

He found one of his soft cotton shirts and she changed while he was in the bathroom

He found one of his soft cotton shirts and she changed while he was in the bathroom. Once in the bed he gathered her close and they talked until they fell into exhausted sleep.

Izzy woke in the night to feel Hobi’s arms wrapped around her.  She took time to stare at him as he slept.  She memorized his long eyelashes and strong features, sighing as he smiled, even in his sleep.  The small dimples that bracketed his mouth appeared and she was so tempted to touch them.  She wanted to kiss them and gently trace them with her tongue.  She wanted everything.

But even laying close enough to feel his body stir against her as he pulled her closer, she kept coming back to the truth.

She had a job and a life to sort out in New York.  It would be waiting even if she defied Olivia and stayed two more weeks with the production team.  Even two months stolen away here in Hobi’s bed, loving him  would not make the reality magically disappear.

She had postponed her life for too long already.  She could no longer justify not taking control, even for more stolen moments with this man. He deserved so much more than that.  They both did. 

She loved him, but she had to be on that plane tomorrow. 

Because she loved him she had to go back.

She fell back into a fitful sleep and dreamed again of being lost in the airport.  This time Hobi did not show up to rescue her.

Hobi’s alarm woke them both. 

He kept his eyes closed tightly, hoping when he opened them everything would be ok.

Instead when he slowly opened them he saw Izzy’s tear stained face staring at him.  She was storing all the memories she could.  He was doing the same.

“ I have a meeting this morning,” he said, trying to keep his voice steady. She nodded her understanding.

“ I’ll just jump in the shower.  I won’t be long and then we can…..” he left the suggestion hanging.

She smiled, just a touch of a quiver to her lips and said,
“ Sure  I’ll just…”

He quickly headed to the shower, knowing both of them needed a moment to gather their emotions and tidy them away.

She looked at her clothes thrown on his floor and sat considering her options one last time. She found the new day had not gifted her with any new alternatives.

She moved toward the bathroom, not thinking about what she would do once there, driven by the knowledge that the night was over and she had to release the dream of him.

Hobi was busy thinking of ways he could convince Izzy to stay, just a bit longer, or for the day or….

His thoughts were interrupted as he heard the door open and turned to see her standing there. His heart dropped when he saw her.