chapter 63

Hobi watched from the wings, his heart swelling with pride as the butterflies followed the baby ladybugs, then the sunflowers after that

Backstage was a madhouse of lost shoes and changing costumes but each group had their time to shine. 

The first-year ballet class showed such grace and promise.  Mrs Kim winked as she surprised him with a couple of his boys coming in to partner and lift.  He was so proud.

It seemed like he only blinked and it was time for him to get his group ready. The boys would dance, then his solo and then the finale and then...what?

He shook that thought off as he moved to the back.  As he left Tae was coaxing Jimin to join him on stage where they bantered to the laughter of the crowd before announcing a 20 minute intermission.

It was just enough time to get warmed up with his group and ready them for the stage.  He was so proud of them and told them so. 

As the boys made last minute adjustments among themselves, Hobi changed into his stage costume. 

He felt the hard edge of his emotions as he fastened the harness and tied the heavy boots. 

The familiar rush of adrenaline kicked in as he moved to watch the boys.  His continued to stretch his muscles and could feel his blood begin to pump harder.  It had been years since he had last performed but at that point it seemed like minutes.

He took deep breaths and focused on the group, whispering notes and areas to work on to Mrs Kim.  They rushed off stage to find him nodding solemnly at them.

“ I am proud of you,” he told them quietly as Mrs. Kim ushered them away.

Jimin had pulled the curtain closed and the house lights dimmed. 

Hobi made his way to the center of the stage and settled himself.  He waited in the stillness to dance, batting away the thoughts that flickered like fireflies.

Finally he nodded.  This would simply be his body, the music and his art.

He was ready.

The curtains opened and the spotlight found him. 

All the students had gone to sit around the floor in front of the stage.  The excited chatter fell to silence as the music started.

Hobi breathed in the music and was instantly one with it. He moved, joints jumping to accentuate the beat.  His face was set, a slight frown adding to the darkness he was projecting.

Power, sensuality, and vulnerability flowed through his movements.  The audience was mesmerized.

Hobi’s  body moved on muscle memory.  His mind was concentrating on each emotion the dance represented, warring want and need and loss.  He let each emotion surface and work through him and then discarded the remains as he moved to the next.