chapter 42

Izabelle sat remembering the night, committing it all to memory, holding the tattered bear in her hands

Izabelle sat remembering the night, committing it all to memory, holding the tattered bear in her hands.  That was how he found her when he came back in the room.

She looked up and felt the heat of her blush race across her face.  It was equal parts being caught cuddling an old bear and her reaction to him standing at the edge of his ruined bed with a towel slung low on his waist.

“ The shower is all yours.  I left towels out. I’ll get some breakfast while you get ready, “ he offered.

He did not resist pulling her in for a long kiss as she walked past him.  What he would give to tumble her in the bed and love her all day. No, love her much longer than that.

She kissed him back, but slowly drew away from him, creating distance between them. He could tell she was pulling away.

“ Izzy, “ he said quietly, “ please don’t hide from me this time.”

With that he turned to dress.  She heard him leave the house as she readied for the shower.  She could imagine him walking to the corner bakery to buy breakfast.  He would stop every few feet to speak with someone.  He would buy chocolate croissants for her because he knew they were her favorite.  And he would make his way back here.  She cursed, wishing she could be in his bed to welcome him back.

She finished her shower, ringing her hair as dry as she could and quickly braiding it.  She threw on the clothes she had left on the bed, ignoring the rumpled nest they had made.  It already seemed unreal.  She sat on a chair she recognized as one of Lyra’s.  He had never given her the tour he promised. 

She dashed tears away and stood, finally giving one last glance to the bed.  She cursed into the silence when she saw Bear there leaning against the pillows where she had gently placed him.  She had to get out of there.

So she hurried out the door and into the street where they had walked hand in hand last night.  Hobi would be coming back this way soon.  She hailed a cab and exhaled once the driver was speeding toward her hotel.

Hobi was indeed moments behind her.  He entered his home with hands full of croissants, a chocolate one in a separate bag for her.  He held one cup of coffee in the other hand.

He placed the packages down on the counter and walked through the silent house.  He knew she was gone. He had known she would leave before he returned so there was no surprise in the silence.

The reminders of her were the gut punch he was not expecting,   Two glasses on the table, two towels in the bathroom hung neatly on the rack to dry. 

He found himself in his bedroom staring at his bed.  Every where he looked he saw flashes of them laughing and loving.  He could almost imagine her leaving. 

He worried then.  Would she shut him out? Would she pretend like it had never happened? Then he saw the small bear perched by his pillow.  She must have found it while collecting her clothes.